An Easy Question About Sound (Probably)

Started by
4 comments, last by matrix2681 18 years, 11 months ago
I can't find any resources that tell me how to program such that when one sound is playing, if another starts that it doesn't chop the first one off. All the search strings I've used have turned up zilch, and I'm just kinda curious how it can be done. If anyone has a link to a thread on here somewhere (I musta missed it), or just general advice, please let me know. Every time you help a n00b an angel gets its wings ;) Thanks for your help, matrix2681
Advertisement
What method are you using to play your sounds currently?
I'm using:

PlaySound("Data/laser-n2.wav", NULL, SND_ASYNC);

It's in VC++ 6.0 and I based it off the NeHe #21 tutorial since the main idea of pressing a key and playing a sound is in place.
Here's my suggestion just given to someone in the same position you are in [wink]
Whoa that's NIIIIIICE. Easy to implement, easy to use.

Thanks for the suggestion ;)

Take care,

Matrix2681
OK now I have another problem with fmod (probably not so much fmod as it is a user error ;) )

I'm trying to figure out how to:
stream music from my cd rom drive,
stream from an mp3 file

It's not doing either. It works fine with playing small sounds, by loading them into memory and playing them. I'm trying to play music from either of those two sources and either I can't read from the drive properly or it doesn't recognize the compression method on the mp3 file.

I tried using the help file to determine the correct way to use the function, and it compiles right. I also set it up to totally kill the program if the music doesn't load properly and pop an error window on the screen to tell me why it quit. Needless to say it quits everytime.

If anybody has any advice regarding this, that'd be great, but I'm thinking this could possibly be a hardware issue on my end. To rule this out, does anybody have a small code sample that opens/streams an mp3 file, and can also open/stream the first track of an audio cd? That way I could troubleshoot from there.

Thanks,

matrix2681

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement