• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rayce

first time dx

This topic is 4760 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'm going to buy "focus on 2d in direct 3d" and then move onto "3d game programming in directx 9" good idea? i've never done dx before and i'm using C++

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure focus on 2d in direct3d is about DX 8 you probably want something more current (DX 9). I read it a few years ago though and liked it then as a starting book.

When i started, Beginning Game Programming, by Jonathan S. Harbor helped me
a lot. If youre not in the mood to read books, you can download the DX9 SDK
and read the tutorials they give you (can be found in the sample browser).

I recommend online tutorials over books for learning the basics of DirectX. Get the SDK, google "directx 9 tutorial" or something similar, and you'll find plenty of information to make a 2d game. Once you learn that and are ready to make the jump to 3d I can recommend a good book: Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX

I found when I was first starting books didn't help as much as simple online tutorials.

i bought Beginning Game Programming
it sucked; i do not like C, i like C++
i do plan on getting the FPS book sooner or later

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!