Integer Shrinking Algo [answered]

Started by
11 comments, last by Andrew Russell 18 years, 11 months ago
OK, I'm trying to come up with a good way of shrinking integer-sized regions to fit into a certian ammount of space. Say my regions have the following pixel sizes [100][100][200], and I want to fit them in a space, say 330 pixels in size. The idea being they will each scale down nicely to look something like [83][83][164] (adds up to 330). It must use up all the space available to it, but it dosn't matter if things are a small ammount off. Not converting to floating point and back is highly preferable. Anyone have any ideas? For anyone interested, my current (broken) algo looks something like this:

// The values here are from [100][100][200]

// The Greatest Common Divisor of the different regions
int gcd = FindGCD(); // 100
int normal = TotalSize(); // 400
int available = AvailableSize(); // 330

// "chunk" is what big chunks to alocate to each element
int chunk = available/(normal/gcd); // 82
// "spare" is the size remaining after the alocation of chunks
int spare = available%(normal/gcd); // 2

for( /* each element, e */ )
{
    int e.final = chunk*(e.size/gcd);

// hand out "spare" space first-come-first-served
    e.final += (e.size/gcd);
    spare -= (e.size/gcd);
    if(spare < 0) // if we use up more spare than we have, give it back
    {
        e.final += spare;
        spare = 0;
    }
}

Anyway, that all works nicely, and gets the results [83][83][164], however once I tried it on some program-generated data it fell appart, because the GCD was way too small (like, 1). Say for instance, the sizes become [100][100][201], then the result is something like:

gcd = 1;
normal = 400;
available = 330;
chunk = available/(normal/gcd) = 0;
spare = available%(normal/gcd) = 330;
And as the spare is alocated to the first element as it needs it, the result is something like [100][100][130], which fills up the space, but is 70 pixels off correct. So yeah - any ideas? [Edited by - Andrew Russell on May 13, 2005 2:58:25 AM]
Advertisement
How about this?

Start off with:
a[0] = 100; a[1] = 100; a[2] = 200;int Count = 3;int desiredSize = 330;

b holds the resulting sizes:
int sum = 0;for (int i=0; i < Count ;i++) {  sum += a;}for (int j=0; j < Count ;j++) {  b[j] = (a[j] * desiredSize) / sum;  //Or perhaps add rounding to the above by using:  //b[j] = (a[j] * desiredSize + sum/2) / sum;  desiredSize -= b[j]; //subtract from used space  sum -= a[j]; //subtract from original space}
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
int currenttotal = 0; int temptotal = 0; int desiredtotal = TotalSize();for ( /* each element, e */ ) {  currenttotal += e.size;}for ( /* each element, e */ ) {  // Integer arithmetic. To avoid round-off error we must do the multiplication  // first. The result will be the floor of what the FP value would have been  // if we were doing this the obvious slow way. Thus the total of e.size's will  // be *at most* desiredtotal after this step.  e.size = (e.size * desiredtotal) / currenttotal;  temptotal += e.size;}// Distribute the remainder, desiredtotal-temptotal, among the elements somehow.

This will automatically distribute the 'leftover' bits for you:

int currenttotal= ...;int desiredtotal = ...;int currentsizes[] = ...;int newsizes[] = ...;for(int i=0 ; i<numelements ; ++i){    newsizes = (currentsizes*desiredtotal)/currenttotal;    currenttotal -= currentsizes;    desiredtotal -= newsizes;}
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Quote:Original post by joanusdmentia

That is exactly what I posted above, except that you can get a more accurate answer by rounding like this...
int currenttotal = ...;int desiredtotal = ...;int currentsizes[] = ...;int newsizes[] = ...;for (int i=0; i < numelements; ++i){    newsizes = (currentsizes*desiredtotal + currenttotal/2) / currenttotal;    currenttotal -= currentsizes;    desiredtotal -= newsizes;}
It will still come out to exactly desiredtotal, but will be more accurately divided.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
add all the values together then get the common scaling factor, so in your case 330/400. Then multiply each value with the scaling factor then you're done e.g 100 * 330/400 ~ 82 or 83 depend on rounding.
Quote:Original post by iMalc
Quote:Original post by joanusdmentia

That is exactly what I posted above

So it is, I hadn't even noticed. Sorry, my bad!
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Quote:Original post by nhatkthanh
add all the values together then get the common scaling factor, so in your case 330/400. Then multiply each value with the scaling factor then you're done e.g 100 * 330/400 ~ 82 or 83 depend on rounding.

Won't work because of the integer math. Integer math is rounded down, so you'll have [82][82][165] which adds up to 329, not 330.
Can you explain what you mean by 'shrinking integer-sized regions to fit into a certian ammount of space'? It sounds like you just want linear scaling of a set of numbers so they have a certain sum, in which case you just need to multiply all numbers by DesiredSum/ActualSum

Ex:
{100,100,201}
Total = 401
Desired = 330
Result = {100*330/401, 100*330/401, 200*330/401} = {82, 82, 164}
Result Total = 328
Spare = 2
Evenly distribute it (1 to each cell until you run out, since its rounder error and will never be larger than the number of cells) and you get {83, 83, 164}

Without floating point that is the best you can do (unless you want to work with numbers*10 to get an extra digit of accuracy then scale down for ex, but then you'll still get 'spare' at the end and have to distribute it).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Extrarius: That's what I was describing.

joanus, iMalc: Brilliant (for handling the "redistribution" naturally).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement