• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Clankrieger

OpenGL floating point "rendertargets"

This topic is 4911 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I want to use floating-point "rendertarget"-like things in OpenGL. I found some samples for DirectX, but nothing for OpenGL seems to be able to do this. A float Pixelbuffer seems a solution, but this won't work nice either. Even on a NV GeForce 6600, I only get 2-3 fps with resolutions higher then 256x256. Has anyone a tutorial/manual/link that explains how to use floating point targets in OpenGL? It has to work some way, because nvidia itself has already released GL-based high-precision demos - but i have not found sourcecode for them yet. (e.g. the ship-demo builds on glut). Any help is highly appreciated because i spent a lot of time in searching a solution... :D Greetings, T.

Advertisement
Well.. I should add that I have to use a Linux-environment. I found some SDK-Demos (especially hdr and 16bit floating point blending and filtering) that use floating point pbuffers - but run only on windows systems. Could this be a Linux-Limitation? Well, I can initialize float pbuffers - but they are awsome slow, seems like software-calculated. I also have the float-Extensions and so on...

But surely, it works on linux boxes, too... perhaps theres something that I missed.... It would be of great help if the primary display-context could be floating point, but this has du be clamped rgb as it seems (e.g. there is no GLUT_FLOAT and so on).

Thanks,

T.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!