Long Text File corruptions

Started by
7 comments, last by weasalmongler 18 years, 11 months ago
Hi everyone, I've just put level scripts into my game engine and I've run into a bizarre problem. It appears that roughly 3% of the end of longer text files that I load get corrupted. It is about 3% no matter what the size of the text file rather than being a fixed number of bytes. The files that I am loading are about 2kb. I am using ifstream to load my files and I load them all into a big buffer before parsing them in memory. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Anyone know any causes and how to fix it? Thanks, - James
Advertisement
Never had that problem.

Are you sure that you're not overwriting the bounds of your buffer?
I'm pretty sure that I am not, I don't write to the buffer once it's been loaded and the buffer is the same size as the file. Here is some of the code for loading :

m_hFile.open(filename, ios::in);if(!m_hFile.is_open())	return false;//Get lengthm_hFile.seekg(0, ios::beg);l = m_hFile.tellg();m_hFile.seekg (0, ios::end);m = m_hFile.tellg();m_iFileLen = m - l;//Make sure we are at the startm_hFile.seekg(0, ios::beg);m_cFileBuffer = new char[m_iFileLen+1];memset(m_cFileBuffer, 0, m_iFileLen+1);m_hFile.read(m_cFileBuffer, m_iFileLen);//Set our incremental pointer to the beginning of the filem_cPtr = m_cFileBuffer;m_hFile.close();

Any suggestions?

- James
Actually, I just printed out the file just after it had been loaded and it worked fine, but when the parser gets to the end of the file in the debugger, the data is corrupted, but I don't believe that I write to the buffer at all, is it possible for something to be causing this?

- James
Try calling istream::gcount after you call read.

That won't solve anything, but it should help you to figure out if the data is being read then corrupted or not being read at all.

Is what you're doing working well with smaller text files?

You can't expect m-l to tell you the correct length of a text file. They go through extra processing, so the number of characters you read doesn't necessarily add up the the number of bytes you've gone through.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
You have 2 options, either read the file as binary, in which case your current reading functions will work fine, or use ascii specific functions. The reason being that 1 character in ascii might not be 1 byte (I found out the hard way).
#include <iostream>#include <fstream>#include <string>#include <algorithm>#include <iterator>int main() {  std::ifstream file("message.txt");    if(!file.good())   {    std::cout << "Oopsies!" << std::endl;    return -1;   }    std::string my_text;    file.unsetf(std::ios::skipws); // Don't skip whitespace.    std::copy(std::istream_iterator<char>(file),            std::istream_iterator<char>(),            std::back_insert_iterator<std::string>(my_text));    std::cout << "The file contained:\n----\n" << my_text << "\n----" << std::endl;  return 0; }
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Thanks guys! It was the filesize problem, I changed my loader to count the number of characters rather than m-l and now everything is running fine.

Happy coding :)

- James

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement