Interpolation techniques

Started by
2 comments, last by Ilici 18 years, 11 months ago
I have 50 .bmp files. The files contain CT scan data sampled at different distances. I have created a volume by placing each file one behind another. ( I applied opacity function to each pixel) The problem I am facing is - Each file has a size of 256 x 256. There are 50 such files. So the size of the volume is 256 x 256 x 50. I am getting the volume which is shrunk in z-axis direction. To make it 256 x 256 x 256, do we need to get more images? or can we use the same 50 files with interpolation? What are the different techniques of interpolation?
Advertisement
The anisotropy of the volumetric data set shouldn't be an issue, as long as your viewing volume is of cubic shape. Think of your data set as a 3D texture, which is stretched over a 3D cube with the same dimensions in all directions. You don't have to modify the 3D data slices for that, everything is done via the texture coordinates. The stretching and filtering itself is done internally, by the 3D hardware.

Of course, this implies that you actually use 3D hardware for the volume visualization, and not some other kind of software approach (eg. voxel rendering). If you don't, and you really need to interpolate the missing slices, then many interpolation techniques can be used: bilinear, bicubic, cosine, spline, etc. Each of them vary in speed vs. simplicity vs. quality metrics. But keep in mind, that you will tremendeously increase the size of your data set, if you interpolate the 'missing' parts. The best approach is to use 3D hardware, and let it to the interpolation on the fly, while rendering.
Thanks!!!

I already knew the two approaches.
Since I do not have any such hardware, I want it to be done using software approach and thats why I was specific about interpolation.

Can you suggest any websites regarding interpolation approaches that you have mentioned?
Wikipedia Article

Look in the "Other forms of interpolation" for more advanced techniques which you probably want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement