• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
phoey

OpenGL Question about the best Graphics Rendering Package

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello All, I have a question about the best Graphics Rendering Package(s) based on the following requirements. Currently, I am evaluating graphics rendering packages (OpenGL based) including but not limited to VTK and Hoops. My question is what would be the best package(s) that fit the following criteria (OSS or Commercial)?: 1) Cross-platform Compatibility (Windows/Solaris/Linux) 2) Lines: There must be a way to specify different endcaps such as flat, round, and square. The package must also be able to create lines with different widths and stipple patterns. 3) Fonts: Render different text fonts with different sizes. 4) Mouse Selection: Click on an object on the screen to reference properties on an object or allow mouse over event where a tooltip appears. 5) Tooltips 6) Filled Geometries: Fill/Unfill specific geometries and specify hatch patterns. 7) 3D support 8) Visibility of Geometries (Where you can hide specific geometries) Thanks.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I'm not very sure what do you mean by Graphics Rendering Package,maybe not a 3d engine but just a library like AllegroGL ,OpenGL,DirectX amd so on.However most of the things u mention(if not all) can be made with OpenGL, the tutorials on Nehe.gamedev.net for it are failry easy to understand. They are written for windows,but they got the main structure for linux ,solaris and mac os too.I dont know how to program for windows and others os,i just copy&paste the basic code and think only 'bout the input & graphix.

I find "graphics rendering package" a little vague. Or at least, to me, it's some unfamiliar terminology. VTK is strictly a visualisation toolkit, (it's in the name ;)), and is used mostly for scientific visualisation. Perhaps you're looking for something like ogre.

Hope this helps.

Hey,

Let me be a little more specific:

"Graphics Rendering Package(s)" refers to a set of graphics rendering libraries. I assume that there is not one graphics rendering API that can handle all the requirements that I specified.

I was just curious if there are libraries available that other developers on this forum have used that meet most of the requirements.

I also understand that most of the requirements can be implemented in OpenGL but I do not want to reinvent the wheel if there are already API's capable of fulfilling the need. I am looking for libraries maybe with a higher level of abstraction than OpenGL core.

Also, VTK can be used for scientific visualization, but can be most 2d-3d based rendering. It adheres to design patterns thus allowing clean design.

* Are there any cross platform graphics libraries that can handle fonts (different types of fonts with varying sizes)?

Thanks for the replies.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!