• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rayce

win programming in dev

This topic is 4846 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

when i tested to see if the windows file was on my IDE, Dev C++ 4.9.8.0, it wasn't. do i have to have VC++ to do win32 programming or can i get it onto dev? if not i think ill buy tricks of the game...gurus 2ed so i can get VC++ and some knowledge on windows, unless there is a better book for the topic i need to know windows before i do dx

Advertisement
It should be, just check out that you downloaded the full version and not just the IDE without the compiler...
And although I hear people coming and tell you that Devcpp sucks and how bad it is, the fact is that its not. It takes guts to use it over VS, so if thats your case, then congrats.

Now, notice the win32 related headers included in devcpp are not the ones provided by microsoft, so some little (very little) problems might arise, since they are from-the-ground implementations by the guys at mingw (they rock). I remember having problems with an undefined function when using a tree ctrl or whatever its called, but looking at the headers I was able to easily solve my problem.
Actually, dont be scared with what I just said, only that I want you to know what youre getting in beforehand (again, I failed trying not to sound scary...)

Last thing, learning win32 before dx is a very good thing to do, in case you wanna make a small 3d/level editor later on or something like that, but not necesary at all. I have a friend who is like a master of dx, and made a very good 3d engine, without knowing anything about GUI programming

cheers, and good luck out there dude

Last time i checked, MinGW has Windows Programming stuff.

Visual C++ .NET Standard is $100. You don't need to buy the full Visual Studio package just to get one piece of it O.o

what takes guts is command-line building.

i didn't download it, i got it from a cd that came with a book
where can i download the windows part?

mmm, so I see you have the guts...
This is the list of mirrors for the full package (aka IDE + compiler) among with the obvious win32 sdk (from the guys at mingw). Its only around 10 Mb so you should be Ok

And These right here are the official forums, be sure to check em out if youre serious about developing in devcpp

That said, good luck dude

Quote:
what takes guts is command-line building

Not at all. I actually prefer using a good text editor like vim to using ide's like visual studio or devc++. Combine that with a few shells open to run commands like grep or find or diff, and you got yourself a good system. Add in all the sweet things make does for you very easily, with not too much added effort over using some ide's project file (not to mention portable).

Its all about finding what you like best I guess. I guess I like doing it this way since I like having certain things be seperate. I like the command line utilities unix offers. I think in most respects they are better and certainly more customizable than what is generally built into IDE's, especially once you get to know them well.

Thats why I couldn't contain my excitement when I found out that GNU has windows ports of all the usual unix utilities (like grep or ls etc.)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!