• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GodlyGamr

ConvertToBlendedMesh Problem

This topic is 4810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, Is there any reason you guys can think of that a call to ConvertToBlendedMesh() (or ConvertToIndexedBlendedMesh() for that matter) would return D3DERR_TOOMANYINFLUENCES on the SDK's tiny.x mesh? Even though the model works as it should in the SkinnedMesh sample and the MultiAnimation sample, I keep getting this error. I'm still not 100% sure how the loading of a skinned mesh works (though I'm pretty confident I understand the basics of it), so I guess my question would be: Could discrepencies in the way the model is loaded, in terms of allocating the hierarchy, cause this error? Or is it something that is specific to the model and this is just a strange case? Just looking for some info so I can attempt to fix this, it's been bugging me for quite some time now and I don't see how my game can progress without it. Thanks in advance to everybody, Jeff

Advertisement
You worded your request so nicely, it made me want to try to help, even though I probably wont [smile]

When converting with ConvertToIndexedBlendedMesh, you are able to supply a palette size. This size defines the maximum number of bones that are allowed to be transformed at once. I've never used ConvertToBlendedMesh. And I'm not sure whether or not Tiny can generally be rendered in a shader with a single matrix-array upload. I doubt she can. But honestly, I'm still not sure why the function would report that there are too many influences. I don't see how D3DX would even know the limit that you face.

Is this for a shader or will the vertices be transformed in software?

The program works (read: should work) just as the SkinnedMesh sample does under the D3DNONINDEXED skinning method. I'm guessing then that it doesn't use shaders, but is still processed in hardware. I'll head back to msdn to read up on both of these functions.

Any other information anybody may have will be well received.

Thanks for the reply,
Jeff

Guest Anonymous Poster
I just stumbled into this error on my own, and this was almost the only page I found through google so.. another bump it is. :/

I'm using the SDK from summer 2003 (can't change now at this stage in the project), the D3DNONINDEXED code from the sample and the ConvertToBlendedMesh function. For me the code works on GeForce3 and newer hardware, but not on GF2 or GF4mx, but the Direct3D meshviewer works in the same mode and same model.

If anyone has any info/advice I would be grateful.

Guest Anonymous Poster
(same Anonymous poster as above)
I got it working by using D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING instead of D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING if the D3DCaps MaxVertexBlendMatrices is below 4.. might differ between models.

So.. working now. Nice of Microsoft to document this "feature".. :/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!