Sign in to follow this  

bomberman - multiplayer architecture?

This topic is 4595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im trying to write a bomberman multiplayer-clone, but it'ss the first time i've been working on a multiplayer game. I'm basically pretty unsure of how to do things :) - as things turn out right know i'm planning to have a server that validates all client-requests and adjust clients accordingly. are there anybody out there that have some good links to code samples/conceptual guidelines - for games of this kind (bomberman/tilebased action game). would TCP be too slow? I've read that almost all games are better of with UDP - is this true? (ofcause its not possible to generalize "all games" in that way, but u know what i mean...)

The 'easiest' way of doing things is to have a totally dumb client that only takes controller input and relays that to the server. The server does *all* the processing, and the client just rendered the end result. In this case you'd probably send player/bomb/item movement info from server to client so it can be drawn.

For a single player game you're basically running both a server and a client on the same machine (hence no lag). Then networked multiplayer just falls out of this. However this isn't good for responsiveness, although if you're over a local LAN this is probably going to be unnoticable. If you're new to networking games start with this method. Also, start with TCP as it'll make things easier.

As soon as you go over the internet proper you have to take into account your ping between client and server will probably be about ~200ms. Then you end up needing a more intelligent client which will do something like client prediction. In this case you've got a pretty good game for prediction - bombs detonate is a known way after a known time, so are very predictable. Other players won't be blocking your path so you don't have to deal with potentially lagged collisions with them. The only real snag is when two players put a bomb in the same place - who wins? You could probably timestamp bomb placement requests (from clients) and let the server decice who wins (with some method of communicating the result to the clients).

This should give you a few ideas: http://www.bookofhook.com/Article/GameDevelopment/TheQuake3NetworkingModel.html

This topic is 4595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.