• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jenna_M

OpenGL Help creating a mirror...

This topic is 4909 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster, absolute OpenGL beginner!! I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in regards to creating a mirror in an OpenGl C++ scene? I need to put a mirror on a wall, it ideally would reflect the surfaces behind it but at the moment even that is not a big issue for me. I am having trouble even creating the refelctive surface. ie. making it shiny. I have a basic room drawn, and even have some lighting included, but that is af far as I can get. I have searched in vain for an example that I could backward engineer to suit my needs but without any success. I found an example on NeHe but I couldn't get it working. If anyone could help I would very much appreciate it. Regards Jenn

Advertisement
I think this will help. That's for reflection of objects. As for reflection of lights, you need to setup specular lighing and material parameters, and divide the mirror into a fairly amount of polygons so the lighting is as accurate as possible.

Guest Anonymous Poster
in saying shiny, i immediately think* you want to look into the specular property of the surface material.

reflections are a totally different matter, so just worry about the shiny for now and the reflections in a seperate step.

Thankyou so much Mikeman, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Now I just need to incorporate it into my scene.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!