Sign in to follow this  

FPS problem

This topic is 4581 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've just upgraded my d3d8 based engine to d3d9; but I can no more see the fps I had in the last version of engine (i.e. on d3d8), I had speeds as much as 850 fps in windowed, but now I have the same scene running with around 85 fps (my monitor refresh rate), is it a problem or it is the DirectX 9 which causes the speed to be reported as much as the refresh rate (even in windowed mode)? Another thing, why programs like FRAPS (an app for viewing frame per second) can no more work on DX 9 programs? and also why something like DrawText (from ID3DXFont) doesn't show my texts in DX 9 when nothing is rendered (it did when I was in d3d8)? thanks... Another general questions, what should I expect from my new engine? what are the main differences between d3d 8 & 9?

The frame rate drop is most likely caused by V-Sync being turned on, thus scaling the FPS down to match your refresh rate (or some fraction of it). All you need to do is disable V-Sync, and you'll get the speed back (well you *should* get it back). As for the other things, I have no idea, since I don't use D3D.

D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_DEFAULT used to mean D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE in DX8 (ignore VSync), but it's been changed to mean D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE in DX9.

Quote:
Original post by PolecatIV
I got the same problem, how can I set that in OpenGL?

No idea - ask in the OpenGL Forum [smile]

Anyway...

To my knowledge the presentation interval is more of a hint than a requirement, most drivers that I've come across have an option to override this. Make sure your driver settings aren't deliberately ignoring what you've set (consequently, remember this when it comes to distributing your app.)

As for ID3DXFont::DrawText() - a lot of things have changed since D3D8, even in the lifetime of D3D9 it's been improved somewhat. Your best bet is to look at the samples and documentation and tweak accordingly. A straight copy is not always gonna work.

hth
Jack

hi, all the answers were given, but concerning FRAPS, I'm quite surprised : I use it every day at work (and at home) and it works perfectly fine with DirectX 9. Do you have the latest version ? And also, I remember I had problems with unregistered version, but since I bought it, no more problem ...

This topic is 4581 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.