zoom in\ zoom out

Started by
2 comments, last by Nik02 18 years, 11 months ago
Hi there, I'm about to add scopes\binoculars to my game, but i'm not sure how to go on this. The most used technique is probably just changing the FOV, and altough this works, won't work in all situations, in my case with a massive LOD system everywhere, just changing the fov won't work for obvious reasons. How is everyone doing it ? thanks, Bruno
Advertisement
Setting the FOV is the correct way to go about it. In my case, I either disable the LOD or bias it depending on the FOV. Assuming you have simple frustum culling implemented, it shouldn't be a big performance hit to disable LOD and switching the FOV to, say, 10 degrees.
Kippesoep
I cannot disable the LOD, most of my vegetation is impostors, that turn into meshes at close range, and i also have the grass that is rendered in a certain radius of the camera.
Isn't there a way to project the player position, depending on the FOV that is currently being used ?
You should then modify the engine to weight the definition of "close range" with the field of view factor, so that changing the fov alters the treshold of what you've defined as "close" in the lod calculation.

Niko Suni

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement