DirectInput Error

Started by
2 comments, last by glat 18 years, 11 months ago
I have been working on the input part of my game but whenever I try to call SetCooperativeLevel on the mouse it returns E_NOTIMPL. I am using DirectX 9 SDK if that has anything to do with it. Here's the relevant code:

//header
IDirectInput8 *pDI;
IDirectInputDevice8 *pDIMouse;

//source
//pDI already exists
hr = pDI->CreateDevice(GUID_SysMouse, &pDIMouse, NULL);
if (FAILED(hr)) return hr;
hr = pDIMouse->SetDataFormat(&c_dfDIMouse);
if (FAILED(hr)) return hr;
hr = pDIMouse->SetCooperativeLevel(hwnd, DISCL_FOREGROUND|DISCL_NONEXCLUSIVE);
if (FAILED(hr)) return hr; // returns E_NOTIMPL

Help Appreciated
Advertisement
I think its because you are setting the mouse to non-exclusive mode. Now if I remember my DI correctly, then this means that the mouse input you receive is picked up by all applications, not just your own. So try setting it to exclusive mode. Non-exclusive mode is good when it is paired with background.
Thanks for the advice, but when I try that the mouse disappears. This wouldn't be so bad (i can draw it) but my application is windowed and when i set the mode to exclusive no other appliation can use the mouse. I would like it so that my program recieves data when it is active, but doesn't block the mouse from leaving my window, so that other applications get use it as well. (I hope that was clear enough)
bump

EDIT: Nevermind, I fixed it. I turned out i click emulate keyboard and mouse which disable all nonexclusive modes. Thanks for the help!

[Edited by - glat on May 14, 2005 7:33:52 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement