Make an emotional game?

Started by
37 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 10 months ago
When it comes to emotionally involving media (any form), the trick is to not to make it happen to the player, or an audience member, but to make it happen to the character that the player or audience has identified with. For instance, lets pick a fairly superficial movie for which I'll have no problems with spoiling.

Armageddon.
The scene when Bruce Willis's character, Harry, has decided to stay on the asteroid to blow it up and has his good-bye talk with his daughter Grace, played by the adorable Liv Tyler. The movie itself is criticized for being fairly shallow and cliche', whatever, but what it does right thats completely transparent to most people is it goes well out of it's way developing the characters and relationships between them. So, when Gracie, a character whose central to the story and a point of identification for most of the audience, realizes that her Daddy is going to die, everyone in the theatre will react to it as a matter of either basic human empathy, or a bile in your throat, depending on if you're a bad person or not.

So, the lesson for game design is if you want to convey emotion to the player, you have to emulate it between the characters and make sure that its authentic enough that the player develops an identification and attachment to his characters.

On a side note, anyone get a reaction out of Chrono Trigger, the scene where Crono dies? Its not because crono dies that you react, its because Marle had to suffer the lost of her best friend that you react.
william bubel
Advertisement
The best way to make a game emotional is to make the characters as someone they can relate to, or put them in situations that the player can relate to. Also to make the game emotional you have to make the characters emotional, make them care, laugh, cry, get jeleous etc. The more emotions the characters have the more the player will have. Also you cant fill the game with ton of text to make the character feel the emotion that the characters are.

Small stuff matters later in the game the player will think back on when character A met character B, and character A is kind of clumsy and trips and both character A and B laugh as character B helps the other up. You can even have the characters mention that etc...
Personally, I feel greater emotional involvement from things that 1) are not mandatory or force-fed, and that 2) are or at least seem to be under player control (and not in cutscene-universe).

For example, I think it lessens the feeling of curiosity in Unreal2 when on the alien planet mission, you explicitly get side-objectives to investigate the aliens' experiments. In contrast, no-one tells you to examine the translator logs lying around in the original Unreal.

Another example: compare the PC - NPC "romance" in say, JK2: Jedi Outcast and Doukutsu Monogatari (Cave Story). In the former it's forcefed, predetermined and happens mostly in cutscene space, in the latter it's optional (at least after a certain point), dependent on player actions, and severely underplayed. Guess which I felt more connected with?

I think the interface also matters quite a bit. For example, Deus Ex has tons of conversations, but not much of "cutscenes" as such. The conversations aren't just for passive watching, as you often need to make choices, or are under gunfire while receiving some info :) In a way, the player is thus kept "in the game" at all times and may likely get more involved. But if there have to be cutscenes, I'd say in-engine are better than binks: you may feel more connected if the representations of characters & places don't suddenly change.

In line with doorstop's thoughts, I'd find it optimal if a game had emotional depth for those who want it, but would not try to force it on those that just want to focus on the pure "gaming" aspect. But can there be too little forcefeeding? After all some complained that there was no story in HL2 :)
Chrono Trigger <- Agreed, though it was upon his return. Very moving. Wish I felt that way about the ending... Lavos was a faceless and almost unnecessary villain.

[nitpick]
And aren't 2-D characters considered moderately well developed? They're no novel protagonists, but they have some development and an 'area' of multiple characteristics. A 3-D is what you want I think, having an 'area' of characteristics, plus some 'depth'. The pure 'stereotype' characters are considered one dimensional, not two...
[/nitpick]

I agree that characters are the only way to appropriately convey emotions. If you expect to get a reaction from the player, simply telling them of something in the story isn't going to do it. That's like the news, it's a passing glance at an event that doesn't really have a face or a name or any way to connect with. It's when you hear of its effect on actual people and how they react that it becomes actually emotional.

Example:
- Event
a) Your main villain goes out of his way to kill a fluffy kitty.
b) Your main villain goes out of his way to kill a fluffy kitty that belongs to a poor orphan, and it was her only friend.
- Reaction
a) Meh, he's a prick.
b) I'm actually feeling very sympathetic and sad for this orphan, who already has such a rough life... she didn't need her innocent kitty friend taken away.

You can work with b) to further plot or develop character, but a) is bland and without purpose. Connect to characters, and work with that. Don't just force feed players events that are supposed to have feeling.
There could be deeper reasonings to option a), perhalps he's fighting his own inner demons, and what may appear as some random act of violent agression could lead to deeper understandings later on, or as a subtle clue for people to hate him or associate him as a tortured individual, depending on how he looks when he does it. Your more likely to get that kind of reaction if a child kills a fluffy bunny rather than an adult, somethin's gotta be wrong if a child does it. ;D

I think visual representations of emotions ingame can hold a powerful impact as well, just look at the Silent Hill series and its representations of Evil, or the cutsy factor of Klonoa 2, Threads Of Fate, and other anime titles that kids like. Pokemon/Digimon should probably be mentioned, god knows kids couldn't seem to get enough of those.
A major element in developing emotional attachment is time.

If you have a character who's supposedly the hero's best friend, and they get killed off in the very first cut-scene, sure, it's a tragedy for the poor bloke. Let's all bow our heads for 2 seconds of silence and then move on...

If you have a character who's been an active part of the game all the way through - constantly making comments, or offering assistance, or otherwise making their presence felt, then losing that character has a big impact. It may be a feeling of vast relief that you don't have to listen to their annoying chatter any more, but you still care about the fact that they're dead...

In X-COM: UFO, it's surprisingly easy to get emotional about your troops - unlike your wingmen in X-COM: Interceptor - the troops in UFO may not have discernable personalities, but they do have individual staticstics, and develop over time according to their history, and they have a history which you are intimately concerned with - you remember when your Commander was just a Rookie - you remember the time as a Sargeant he took a plasma shot to the chest and was on the sick list for a month recovering, and the time as a Captain when he was the last soldier standing fighting to defend one of your bases and took out 3 Ethereals with one burst of fire... In Interceptor, your wingmen are just voices on the comm system competing for kills and making annoyingly repetitive taunts whenever they get a kill - at least for me, the major concern about losing one of them is the cost of the replacement ship...
Exactly, i think character history has a lot to do with any emotional attachment the player may feel. Anyone remember Cannon Fodder, at the start of the game youd jus throw in the troops not thinking twice, but once you got the same few troops through a couple of levels you started being more cautious and if one died my god youd be kicking yourself after, seeing characters grow from your actions gets the player involved with the character, im not talking MMORPG style development here thou, but more subtle things, choices that the player has to make and different paths they can take the character down, as apposed to repeating actions to boost stats
Quote:Original post by Cosmic One
And aren't 2-D characters considered moderately well developed? They're no novel protagonists, but they have some development and an 'area' of multiple characteristics. A 3-D is what you want I think, having an 'area' of characteristics, plus some 'depth'. The pure 'stereotype' characters are considered one dimensional, not two...

I screwed up I mean to say flat/ round.
With flat being after first impression theirs nothing else to them and round having emotional depth and complex personalities.
One aspect that would be interesting to examine is how interactive Choices interact with the players emotions.

http://www.gamestudies.org/0101/juul-gts/
Quote:
Such as rules, goals, player activity, the projection of the player's actions into the game world, the way the game defines the possible actions of the player. It is the unique parts that we need to study now.
Delivering emotion through* gameplay
Quote:One aspect that would be interesting to examine is how interactive Choices interact with the players emotions.
This is correct. The posts about characters and the use of music were correct, but those are what we can readily borrow from other medium. Interactivity (gameplay) is what unique pertaining to games. It is about the design of game rules that convey emotions. This topic however is not really new. And you can draw many parallels from sport games, card games, group games, and other forms of games that do not involve computers.

What is it that induce fear in certain dice games or tarot games? How do the notions of inevitability and fate embeed in the game rules amplify fear by denying control?

The set of rules that induce emotion regardless of the context and content of the game.

*The keyword here is through, not during. To achieve 'during', it is a simple matter of providing a multimedia experience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement