Sign in to follow this  

[web] Apache/IP question.

This topic is 4594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to configure apache for the internet....but when i typed in IPConfig in the command prompt it gave me three options : IP Adress, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway. Which one should i use to config my apache for the www. THX PDO P.S: i'm using xaamp, if that makes any difference.

First of all, do you need apache for home testing or to make a server that anyone can access, if the first one, then the IP is 127.0.0.1, otherwise:
In ipconfig, is the option IP address, although IIRC, it never shows the real address when youre online, thats when you use the IP address provided by the network connection icon in the system tray (just click it, and, IIRC, youll find what you need in one of the tabs in that window)

I hope I explained myself well

cheers

/edit
Nevermind, I just checked in a PC at collegue (win2k, cable,broadband,whatever), and IPconfig works fine, and the second option (the icon in system tray) doesnt show IP address (It does at home, where Im under the crappiest 56 k)

So anyway, its "IP address", thats the one to configure with apache

You don't need to set Apache to listen on a particular IP address - you should be using the ServerName directive to set the host name of the server - which should resolve to an IP address which is valid on your machine (unless you're doing something weird like being in behind a loadbalancer, in which case you probably won't be asking this question)

Mark

ok also depends on if you're running behind a LAN router like I am (linksys)
You need to forward ports 80 and 8080 to your computer IP that the lan uses communicate with you. IP Address is what you need in ipconfig. This is the ip of the computer the router talks to you through. To edit the port forwarding type in the Default Gateway into your browser in the form of http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and go from there.

Also, go to www.myipaddress.com to find the ip that the LAN uses to communicate with the internet as THAT is the address people will type to get to your server!

Then any requests to your server for a page will go to the LAN router, the router will then send the request to your computer/server. So the flow of data would look something like this:

Client (request page) ->
Router (send request to server on network) ->
Server (process request and spit back the page) ->
Router (send page to client) ->
Client (recieve page)

This is, of course, if you are running behind the router. If it is a direct connection just set the ip of your apache server to be the ip address given to you at http://www.myipaddress.com

Also be sure to check out www.cjb.net for URL forwarding and whatnot =)

Hope this helps!

~Brandon Haston~

[Edited by - caldiar on May 16, 2005 11:40:13 PM]

This topic is 4594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.