Trying Linux

Started by
46 comments, last by Richy2k 18 years, 10 months ago
I'm thinking of trying Linux for shits and giggles, so my question is: What is the best version of Linux? Is it Red Hat? Or other versions? Remeber, i know nothing when it comes to this :P Also, any good tips or advice for my plunge? :P What are some good C++ compilers, etc? Cheers!
Advertisement
Do more research before you decide to try it. It'll be good for you, especially since you'll be doing a lot of that once you actually (or while you're trying to) install it. If you try to install it without knowing anything you'll probably end up hating it.

Asking which version is the best is like asking whether DX or OGL is the best. The c++ compiler you'll most likely use (I'd say 99% chance of it) is g++.

btw, clicky.
I like the DARK layout!
Keep in mind that most Linux distros are almost identical, except for the software they come bundled with (and a few other things, such as package managers and installers). I suggest you take this test to start off your research (you'll be doing a lot of it). Also give Distrowatch a look.
I see, this is harder than i thought! NO worries tho. Well I looked around, and Ark Linux and Mandriva (Mandrake) both look nice, and n00b friendly. Do you know if these are both Live CDs? I couldn't really find out...perhaps I was looking in the wrong spot lol. So if it is a Live CD, i can burn the ISO, and put it in my CD player, and it will load the OS w/o any baddness happening to my current Win install correct?

CHeers

//EDit: B/w Mandrake and Ark, which is the best IUHO?
Here is a list of live Linux CD's. Knoppix is the most popular. I don't know about Ark Linux but Mandrake is not a live CD (although I am sure there are live cd's that are derivatives of Mandrake).
Ok thx. Judging from that site tho, it appears SLAX is the most popular....What is the difference between the two? I coudln't really sort this out ..:(

Thanks a ton for the help
SLAX is derived from Slackware while Knoppix is derived from Debian.
Oh...ok. Which tends to be the best? (hehe, sorry for the dumb questions lol. I actually *have* looked around, its just not easy to tell what's best :P)
It really does depend on your preferences. I myself have only ever used Knoppix (before I moved on to Slackware). Linuxquestions.org is a great place to ask these questions.
What is the best distro is completely subjective.

I think Gentoo is the best, becuase you can build your entire system from source, and optimize it for your specific hardware. But if you do this, it takes about 3 days to install (the base system), then you have install a Window manager (Gnome, KDE, fluxbox, etc), which takes about 2 days.

But for anyone that just wants to install and run, and not worry about configuration or anything else, pretty much every other distrobution will install in about an hour or so.

Try a few, and see what you like. You are looking for the best that suits your needs, not what everyone else thinks is the best.
HTHRooke-----C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg. (Bjarne Stroustrup)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement