Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Testing to see if a string can parse into a float without using exceptions.

This topic is 4601 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The subject basically explains it all. I have a program that reads some text. If the text can be parsed as a float, then the text is thrown in a float, and the program proceeds from there. Otherwise, the text is thrown in a string, and different code is executed. Is there a standard method to check a string to see if there are characters besides numbers, '.', and '-'? Seems like it would be something common. --Vic--

How about:

bool CheckFloat( char *string )
{
int index = 0;
while ( index < strlen( string ) )
{
if ( !is_alnum( string[index] ) && string[index] != '.' )
{
return false;
}
index++;
}
return true;
}

That all depends on the existence of a is_alnum() function, I'm pretty sure ANSI C has one defined somewhere...

Hope it helps!

[edit] Oh, use std::string instead of char * whenever you can, the function should still work for std::string strings.

double d;
bool b = double.TryParse(mystring, NumberStyles.Float, System.Globalization.CultureInfo.CurrentCulture.NumberFormat, out result);
if(!b) {
}

Actually, float also has a TryParse... But in .NET 2.0 (for both float and double).

If you're working with .NET 1.1, I think the best way (though not perfect), would be to check against a regular expression matching something like:
(+|-)?[0-9]*(.[0-9]*)?([eE](+|-)?[0-9]*)?

But as I said, it's not perfect: It doesn't accept some characters your local settings would (maybe thousands seperators), and it doesn't check for overflows and such.

No reason not to use doubles. He can always cast to a float later if it matters. The regular expression version, however, is culture specific and thus makes the code a lot harder to port.

This topic is 4601 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.