Sign in to follow this  

I'm liking Linux

This topic is 4596 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, In an earlier thread on this topic, I said I was using Win2K more often than Linux (FC3) on my dualboot box. This is no longer the case, I'm pleased to say. I've become really taken with Linux. Windows is getting boring, every version is 95% the same. It's really nice, I recently discovered that all the programming libraries I use (or will use), apart from DirectX (which I neither want nor need) are there. Boost, SDL, OpenGL, up-to-date C++, Python, and all the other files required to make Linux applications plus so much more, there's just so much on offer. It's also pretty user friendly, I've found. I'm not too good on Konsole yet, but I'll get there. It really is nice for a change. There's also loads more variety in terms of built-in apps, more variety than on Windows. All I need now is a net connection on that old box, and I'll be overjoyed. Thanks to all of you for helping me see the light, there is more to computers than Microsoft and Windows.

Quote:
Original post by ukdeveloper
In an earlier thread on this topic, I said I was using Win2K more often than Linux (FC3) on my dualboot box.

This is no longer the case, I'm pleased to say. I've become really taken with Linux.

congrats

Quote:
It's also pretty user friendly, I've found. I'm not too good on Konsole yet, but I'll get there.

Linux has gotten to the point that you don't really need to use the terminal very often (sometimes not at all, depending on your situation), however there are some really powerful things you can do with it.

Quote:
There's also loads more variety in terms of built-in apps, more variety than on Windows.

Plus, you get access to the source code to all the apps, so you can change things you don't like, fix bugs, or generally improve any software you want.

Quote:
Thanks to all of you for helping me see the light, there is more to computers than Microsoft and Windows.

Not sure if you're interested, but you might want to look at The Art of Unix Programming by Eric Raymond. It's available free online under the creative commons license, but think about buying a copy if you like it. It's mostly an interesting overview of Unix history and philosophy - and you'll learn alot.

I've recently found how great linux is aswell, if you don't have a clue its annoying to get up and running, took me about 2 weeks to get gentoo on this machine, now i've got everything setup and currently working on a simple game engine to keep me busy over the summer. Who needs directx when you have opengl?

Sign in to follow this