What draws you to science fiction?

Started by
22 comments, last by rmsgrey 18 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by rmsgrey
I think here we run into the problem of language - is it how a term is commonly (mis)used or how a term is defined by "experts" that determines its actual meaning?

for me, it depends on who i am talking to :)
i'll lump it all in "sci-fi" when i'm BSing with someone who isn't as huge a geek as i am, but considering this thread is related to Wavinator's game design, i think it is a very important distinction because it will determine the game's audience.
why do you think the star wars dorks and the trekkie dorks hate each other? and don't forget the hardcore dorks that think neither counts a sci-fi :)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Advertisement
I guess for me, the thing that draws me to SF is the way the science is part of the story. You may still have a thingamajig that enables the hero to do just about anything, but there is at least some attempt to explain how it could work - while the Platinum Uber Sword of Doom is just plain magic, a Light Saber is some form of projected forcefield (which is borderline "magic"), and a monafilament encased in a stasis field is hardly magical at all...
a science fiction author once described sci-fi as "Modern mythology" since it allowed an authoer to explore topics and themes that could not be exlpored in other forms. If you want to write about what people are willing to do to survie when their civilization has been destory and its people scattered, and how this reflect both on personal and social level then sci-fi is the ideal medium with which to explore this topic in.

In regards to the topics you've listed I would say the most important aspect of sci-fi to me is how the technology effects, and relates to the world in which it exists and the people who live there. I'm less interested in reading pages upon pages of details on andriod constuction and technology, then I am on reading pages on the impact that androids have had on the society.

I've been absorbing the feedback so far (big thanks!) and wanted to say how surprised I am at the responses surrounding worldbuilding and big ideas (social / technical impact, how things might turn out, etc.)

Would anyone care to hazzard a guess at what's behind this, psychologically? Is it just human nature to want to know how things work? Or do we subconsciously want to know how things will turn out if we experience this change or that technology shift (the "what-if" impact)?

Or is it, maybe, just a case of liking complexity and texture?

(Hope this question makes sense)
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
i don't think it is so much knowing how things work (a lot of it makes hardly any sense at all, generally, unless you got a book with pages upon pages of physics notes to catch you up), but rather it lends familiarity that the story can build on. it is similar to some posts i have seen here about using themes/religions/whatever that are familiar to the players; one can relate to a device that shoots laser beams more than to a magic stick that shoots fireballs, simply because we know that complex devices can be (and have been) built, and that lasers do exist.
Quote:Original post by TechnoGoth
a science fiction author once described sci-fi as "Modern mythology" since it allowed an authoer to explore topics and themes that could not be exlpored in other forms.

i think this is key. if you want a story about humans as we know them (but under some altered circumstances, such as the way androids would affect society), you have to start with humans as we know them. fantasy just, wouldn't work here; you'd end up with a book about how the androids affect the society of some other people in some other place, and not just an extrapolation of reality.
Quote:Original post by krez
if you want a story about humans as we know them (but under some altered circumstances, such as the way androids would affect society), you have to start with humans as we know them. fantasy just, wouldn't work here; you'd end up with a book about how the androids affect the society of some other people in some other place, and not just an extrapolation of reality.

? Sorry, I'm a bit confused. You can't be saying that we simply want familiarity, right? If that was the case, then you'd think we should stick more closely to things we know (guns, not masers; near earth, solar system only, not a galaxy far, far away, etc.)

I hate to throw the big R word (realism) but maybe what so many are looking for is the semblance of a world / universe realistic enough to be lifelike on many levels. But if that were all, fantasy would be an equivalent, when I know for many it is not.

Or am I missing this completely?
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
sorry, after re-reading my post it did seem to come out kinda crappily...
Quote:I hate to throw the big R word (realism) but maybe what so many are looking for is the semblance of a world / universe realistic enough to be lifelike on many levels. But if that were all, fantasy would be an equivalent, when I know for many it is not.

it isn't about being "lifelike on many levels" (any good author can do that in any genre), it is about being lifelike on many level while not crossing the line into the impossible or purely made-up (it is all purely made up i know, but fantasy doesn't care if it is magic that does it or if the third law of thermodynamics was just broken; SF will at least invent a good, logical-sounding reason for those wacky things to work). i guess what i am trying to say is that science fiction attempts to explain itself in terms of our actual reality, whereas fantasy expects a "oh that's cool" and gives no further explanation.
as for familiarity, i meant that people's brains are made to recognize and categorize patterns, and doing so "makes it happy" (so much for a technical definition, heh). that is why so many people see the face of jesus or elvis in mold or on trees, because their brain is "recognizing" a known pattern amid what is actually random stuff.
before you accuse me of going off on a tangent: one of those old final fantasy games had both Excalibur and a Masamune sword available at some point, because it is much more fun to get a legendary sword (one from a completely different mythos, and the other from reality, which i suppose counts as a different mythos than wherever that game took place) with all of those associations floating around in your imagination, than it is to get a powerful, but less familiar Platinum Uber Sword of Doom (much better quality, but there aren't tons of stories about it that everyone has read or at least heard of (yet)).
in the same way, it is more fun (for a hard-SF fan) to learn that this nifty thing in the game/book/movie is an extrapolation of something real, that they already know about (being a geek and all), and can kind of understand how it works. rather than a completely new random thing, it is a thing that fits in the already-known pattern, but in a new way (that hopefully relates to the theme, if it is any good).
bah, weird, i got logged out...
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
I've been absorbing the feedback so far (big thanks!) and wanted to say how surprised I am at the responses surrounding worldbuilding and big ideas (social / technical impact, how things might turn out, etc.)

Would anyone care to hazzard a guess at what's behind this, psychologically? Is it just human nature to want to know how things work? Or do we subconsciously want to know how things will turn out if we experience this change or that technology shift (the "what-if" impact)?

Or is it, maybe, just a case of liking complexity and texture?

(Hope this question makes sense)

Well, I suppose what it boils down to is that stories are only interesting when we can relate to them.
We can accept weird aliens with lots of tentacles or squid for heads, because there's a lot we don't know, and hey, maybe those guys do exist somewhere. At least, we don't know for a fact that it's untrue. ;)
But a shallow world, or stupidly singleminded species (say, an entire race who are completely incapable of thinking about anything other than warfar, research or money (depending on which of these cliché's/traits have been assigned to the specific race)) is harder to swallow, because we know pretty damn well that people aren't that simple. We know for a fact that big ideas do have social / technological impact. We know for a fact that wherever lots of sentient beings get together, things happen, and an entire race of individual tends to disagree with each others and have different goals and ideas. Worldbuilding does take place, so to speak. Ignoring this just makes it seem flat and not very interesting.

Saying that we want "familiarity" might not be the right word, but we do want something we can relate to. Something that doesn't violate the things we know about. (Which might be less scientific that, say, the laws of thermodynamics, but instead refer to stuff like how a sentient lifeform thinks or reacts. There might be a way to travel faster than light, but there's no way we can accept a static, shallow world)
I love SciFi for many reasons, one of them being that it gives us some insights on what a futuristic society might be.
Currently a common view is that our societal organisation has defaults but is still the best solution. I really like when an author has built a complete system where life for an individual is better than it is in our society, even if his model is flawed or limited.

I also really like the ideas scifi authors can have, think of the human machine interface shown in Minority Report, it can be a great innovation once we have easily accessible holographic techniques.

Also it expends the horizon, being presented with green aliens can change the perspective on the skin color of your neighbour...

SciFi should be a part of the education of our children!!!!!!
(five exclamation marks, I'm turning mad)
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement