Sign in to follow this  

Obscure(?) Character in FPS

This topic is 4596 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

One completed game design I have is a futurstic FPS taking place during an assault on a planet. I won't get into details, but a terrorist army has fortified themselves on their home planet and the massive galactic army of good guys are laying siege. Its alot more specific with the story and names, but im just giving the basics. So you play as a soldier on the invading army, and you're pretty much just given a name and you move out. You're a basic infantry unit, your not well known or anything, you don't outrank anyone, and you're basically just part of the army at large. This is the feeling I wanted, much like Call of Duty. However, as you progress in the game, the army's command sends you and the troops with you on more importan missions, and you sort of become a necessity to the planet's invasion. However, without any real relationships between characters (are there ever any in a war game?), and no cut scenes (like half-life, this game is entirely FP, for immersive purposes), is the player going to care about the character? I plan to flesh out some personailites on his combat squad, but I also want the squad to grow in number, making it difficult to feel any signifigant connection with other soldiers. I don't want any kind of Killzone-like combat team of amazing heroes who can take on the whole enemy army. I just want the player to be a common soldier fighting along side other soldiers, but only really wanting to get the mission done, and the invasion over with. Will this simplicity create problems with the immersion i've worked so hard to achieve? Comments, please!

part of the immersion feeling in Half Life is that the NPC's know that you are Gordon Freeman. They are always talking about you so you really feel like they are speaking about you.

But, you have no idea how Gordon Freeman is like. All you know is that he came from MIT. So it's up to your imagination to think about who Gordon Freeman really is.

Quote:
You're a basic infantry unit, your not well known or anything, you don't outrank anyone, and you're basically just part of the army at large. This is the feeling I wanted, much like Call of Duty

You can achieve this by introducing reflection characters. In the game the PC will meet other soldiers, and part them as the war continues. The PC will learn that some of them is fighting and struggling in a distant battle, some of them died, and some has sacrificed so that the PC's squad can survive. This is one way to present the shared spirit of the soldiers, the sense that you are part of the army, and everyone in the army is a part of you.

In saving private ryan, there was a scene where the squad was attacking an armored car, and a hidden bazooka squad helped the main character's squad. You don't need to say much. A salute may be sufficient to convey the meaning.

This topic is 4596 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.