Sign in to follow this  

A transition to vc++ .net

This topic is 4597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a long time user of Borland C++ Builder and I am now attempting to switch to vc++ .net. One thing that has confused about vc++ is the Windows Forms applications. When you add an event to a control it automatically places you within the header file where I suppose it wants you to put your code for the event. Builder placed you within the soure file. Why does vc++ do this? Isn't it better coding practice to have the code in the source file? Anyone have some insight on this? Thanks.

Well, it's designed for use with C#, rather than C++, which means that it just drops functions in inline. It also drops in a lot of crazy C++ extension stuff.

The purpose of C++.NET is so you can eaisly port existing C++ code. If you're just going from scratch (and you have it), it'd probably be better to use C#.

The best way of navigating the huge files that result is with the drop-downs above the code window, and using the little [+][-] boxes to fold up sections.

It isn't necessaraly better to have the implementation in another file. I would have prefered it to (having come from Borland myself), but it works the same either way.

I find that wxWidgets is nicer anyway than doing Windows Forms in C++, and this is probably partially because I used to work in BCB. You should try it.

So it is acceptable to keep the implementation within the header? Just seems a bit foreign to me. I have heard of wxWidgets but I am not familiar with them, could you point me to some good resources or give me a brief explanation?

Thanks!

WxWidgets is something completely different, it's a cross-platform GUI kit with native look&feel on the platforms it supports.

VS.Net is different from C++.Net; VS.Net is the IDE which you can use to make 'normal' C++ programs and .Net programs. Whereas C++.Net or "C++ with Managed Extentions" is a new language. It's C++ with stuff added so you can use C++ for .Net/CLI/CLR programs. If you are using WinForms, you are using .Net/CLI/CLR. You can also make a plain C++ Win32 application or use MFC, and that would be a normal C++ program (no .Net).

WinForms will be most like the VCL.
MFC will place the code in a source file and build the header file for you.
I'd follow whatever the IDE does for C++.Net, messing with it can only cause headache.

Quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
I'd follow whatever the IDE does for C++.Net, messing with it can only cause headache.

Yeah that is what I figured. So does the new standard really want your code within the header? If so what is the purpose of having a source and header file now?

It is no kind of new standard, it's just the way that Windows Forms constructs the C++ file for you.

It's perfectly acceptable to use either method when you write the class yourself. Not to mention, I think I moved a few implementations out of the header file for various reasons when I was using Windows Forms anyway.

wxWidgets is, as MKH said, a cross-platform GUI library. You, like myself, may find it better than using Windows Forms. It is probably more familar to a VCL user too.

The difference is it dosn't have a standard WYSIWYG editor. However it's generally not a big deal. You can get WYSIWYG editors from elsewhere with various levels of quality if you need one.

I found that using managed C++ (and also, interfacing it with unmanaged C++) was painful at best.

If you were using C# rather than C++, then I would recomend using Windows Forms.

This topic is 4597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.