C++, STL, putting multimaps in a vector

Started by
5 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 18 years, 11 months ago
Hi to everyone. I'll be holding some stuff in a multimap. The problem is I want to have 2, 3 or multimaps to contain different level path. I've created a vector of these like:

vector<multimap<int, int> > paths;
Now I need to initialize the vector. I try to do something like:

paths.push_back(new multimap<int, int>);
but I get compile errors. What is the correct way? If I resize the vector does he automatically create the objects for me? Later on what I want to do is:

getline(ifsMaze, fileline);
		tmpPair.first  = atoi(fileline.c_str());
		tmpPair.second = atoi(fileline.substr(fileline.find(' ', 1) + 1, 10).c_str());
		paths[0].insert(tmpPair);	
Advertisement
You've declared a "vector of multimaps that maps ints to ints" not a "vector of pointers to multimaps that maps ints to ints". In anycase i would stick with the first method, know how to use effectively, use vector's reserve method, if you have to store pointers use smart pointers instead etc, etc, yada, yada.
vector<multimap<int, int> > paths;

this is 'a vector of multimaps'

paths.push_back(new multimap<int, int>);

and this is 'a pointer to multimap' you're trying to put in that vector, so the compiler throws a hissy fit. Change the vector declaration to match and it should work... just remember to delete your multimaps when you're done and about to dismiss the vector. ^^;
What they're saying is:

paths.push_back(new multimap<int, int> );

should be:

paths.push_back( multimap<int, int>() );

And yes, resizing the vector would automatically create new multimaps for you. In this case, I believe it makes the most sense to hold the multimap by value like this. When paths is destroyed, so will be the multimaps. As a side note, you're passing the multimap by value in this example. That means... well, this:

multimap< int , int > example_level;example_level.insert( make_pair( 1 , 2 ) );vector< multimap< int , int > > paths;paths.push_back( example_level );assert( paths[0] == example_level ); //same data? yes...assert( &(paths[0]) != &example_level ); //same object? no...paths[0].insert( make_pair( 1 , 5 ) ); //modify one...assert( paths[0] != example_level ); //and same data? no longer.
Great! Thanks everybody ;) I never thought of the pointer thingy. It's kind of late. You've all been a great help!
Oh, by the way, just to make it clear, doing it like:
paths.push_back(multimap<int, int>())
doesn't leave me any memory leaks right?
Quote:Original post by moucard
Oh, by the way, just to make it clear, doing it like:
paths.push_back(multimap<int, int>())
doesn't leave me any memory leaks right?

Correct. "multimap< int , int >()" creates a temporary, nameless variable of the multimap type. paths.push_back( ... ) then creates a new multimap inside the vector, from the temporary variable. push_back returns, and the temporary variable is then destroyed.

It's a lot like:

float x = 3.5f;
float y = int(x) + 1.0f;
//y ~ 4.0

In which case, a temporary, nameless variable of type int is created from the floating point x. 1.0 is then added to this temporary, and the results stored in y, at the temporary integer is destroyed*.

*I actually don't remember if it's destroyed right after the two numbers are added together, or after the end of the entire line... but, it dosn't matter for this case :-).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement