Ogre3d

Started by
6 comments, last by Dobbs 18 years, 11 months ago
What do I need to know to use Ogre3d?
I hate signatures.
Advertisement
Not a darned thing [lol]. Well as long as you know C++ that's it really. I'm using Ogre3D for our commercial game, and I didn't know anything about it nor any graphics concepts. It's not that hard to get up and workingw with it. If you download the complete source, you get all of the demos, which teach you a lot of stuff. So here's what you need to know:

1. If you have a question about it, look at the Ogre Wiki first.

2 If you still can't find what you need, head over to the Ogre Forums, they are excelent there! Just search first before you ask anything.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. There are quite a few people here using Ogre, I know ColdAcid is one of them. [smile]

[edit]Removed some unnecessary content, sorry guys!

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on May 15, 2005 12:48:29 PM]
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
Other than that, I'd really hope you have Visual Studio 2003 .Net. Anything else can be a pain to get working, especially DevCPP or Code::Blocks. VS6 will work, but require a lot more addons.

Drew,
Why are you saying that? How is it a pain to get ogre working with Code::Blocks or Dev-Cpp???
I 've made a step-by-step procedure to get it working with Code::Blocks, including how to apply some needed patches at the time (the changes are in Ogre sources now). It's over at the ogre wiki.
Download, unpack, open the workspace file, compile. But I guess using ogre with MSVC is simpler than that...
Another user created a devpak for Dev-Cpp which means get the devpak, install it and start coding with ogre. But, I guess, using ogre with MSVC is even simpler than that...

I don't want this to start a flamewar but spreading this kind of pointless FUD is something I don't understand.
Even more when it's coming from people who I respect for their generally helpful attitude...

Yiannis.
Yiannis,

I don't think he means Code::Blocks is bad, just that it can be awkward to get libraries designed for Visual C++ to compile on g++ based systems. As I'm sure you know, the libraries themselves have different conventions so you can't easily use the precompiled ones, and it's not always easy to recompile the libraries when they often rely on MSVC-specific code.

Personally I think Code::Blocks is great (but can we have Find In Files please? :) )
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Yiannis,

I don't think he means Code::Blocks is bad, just that it can be awkward to get libraries designed for Visual C++ to compile on g++ based systems. As I'm sure you know, the libraries themselves have different conventions so you can't easily use the precompiled ones, and it's not always easy to recompile the libraries when they often rely on MSVC-specific code.

Well, that's the point of my contribution to Ogre: make it build easily in a simple MinGW environment.
And if Drew doesn't like Code::Blocks (or Dev-Cpp for that matter), he 's free to have his own opinion. I didn't talk about that. I just don't understand why he (or anyone else) tries to drive people away of a (free) product based, possibly, on his own bad experience with it...
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
Other than that, I'd really hope you have Visual Studio 2003 .Net. Anything else can be a pain to get working, especially DevCPP or Code::Blocks.

I have nothing against Drew, I just feel that everyone is free to choose what tools to use for each job. I just don't see the reason for this type of statements when they 're not true...
Btw, I would have provided ogre-mingw binaries if the ogre team just wanted to host them...

Quote:Original post by KylotanPersonally I think Code::Blocks is great (but can we have Find In Files please? :) )

Sure we can. It's on my todo ;)

Anyway, I 'm not going to comment any more about this. As I said, I wouldn't want to start a flamewar.
My apologies to the OP for "hijacking" this thread. It wasn't my intention...

Yiannis :)
Honestly, if you're going to work with OGRE on a Windows platform, you want to be using Visual C++ or at least Dev-C++. There are devpacks available for OGRE for Dev-C++, but it's much simpler to just work with VC++ since for one thing, pre-built dependancies for VC++ are available from the OGRE site.

Anyway, what you need to know... You need to have a good understanding of C++ as the system makes extensive use of language features. It's more important if you're working on plugins (as I am, in addition to Meldstar's current OGRE-based project) to understand how the system works beyond the Ogre::Root and scene manager classes, but for the most part, everything you need to know for programming using OGRE are in the Root class as well as the various scene classes (the scene manager, scene nodes, etc.). You'll find that a lot of what you need to know to do anything serious is all in the sample code, which may not be documented but do present clean and understandable examples of OGRE use. You'll want to check out the example framework code as well, so you know what it does. Make sure you know how virtual functions work. For non-programming stuff, you'll want to read the OGRE manual to understand how to use material scripts and such.

Chances are you'll want things like physics and movie playback. You'll want to get ogreaddons from CVS, but trust me when I say that you want to get the downloadable OgreODE package if you want to use ODE for physics. The videoplugin in ogreaddons lets you use either Ogg Theora or MPEG videos for movies, and includes the ability to use them for animated textures. Read the sparse documentation and know that the Theora video plugin is superior to the abandoned MPEG one.

Well, that's my 30-second overview.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Code::Blocks + Visual C++ Compiler 2003, anyone? (There's a guide at the C::B website)
In case it isn't clear, Ogre is just a graphics library (albeit a pretty damn good one), not a complete game library. You'll need other libraries to complement it if you want to make a complete product. There's a nice GUI library that interoperates well with Ogre, and if you search the Ogre forums for the names of various physics libraries you'll find some useful stuff (OgreODE and Nogredex for example). There's also a good effort to give it a Python interface (again, check out the Ogre forums for details) called PyOgre. You should also find something for sound, and maybe input (Ogre has basic input routines but if you want something fancy you should use 3rd party library or roll your own).

For content creation, there are exporters and importers available for a lot of modelling software. There are also a few projects working on full fledged world editors. A lot of this stuff is available in the ogreaddons CVS repository that coldacid mentioned.

Have fun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement