Free Engines

Started by
12 comments, last by Elmo Song 18 years, 11 months ago
Recently has managed to compile a list of "free" or low-cost engines availables in the market and personally uses/try them here the lists and some comments - ogre3d very easy to learn and use have a very active forum and development team - openscenegraph a very huge library with many features but difficult to learn - torque (100 buck) good if you have a FPS/RTS/Racing game in mind, any other game idea, i would think its better of using other engines. - panda 3d quite a complete engine in term of game development, consists of various components, graphics,audio, network,... - The Nebula Device 2 "i nearly kill by the SDK",... kind of difficult to learn and use anyone has any more comments over the engines and maybe add in more engines to the list
It's easy to earn respect... just work-hard and smart AND stop playing Wow in office
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Elmo Song
- ogre3d
very easy to learn and use
have a very active forum and development team
a very huge library with many features

- panda 3d
quite a complete engine in term of game development, consists of various components, graphics,audio, network,...
- Very small community since this has not caught on yet

[wink] I'm using Ogre3D now and love it. Yes I know there are people more for Irrlicht and say Ogre is bloated, but it's freaking awesome! Give it a try people. That and the community is unmatched over in their forums.

Oh Elmo, you might want to take a look at the "3D Engines" section on DevMaster, you've missed some popular ones!
Another vote for ogre. I used irrlicht for a bit... but it just kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth. Their test demo is entirely unimpressive, and the BSP collision detection is near unusable. Ogre on the other hand is very active community-wise and development-wise. Add to that an entire suite of demos and examples, plus insanely great add-ons for physics like OgreODE.. and also Novodex and Newton too! Can't beat it as far as I'm concerned.
Enjoy.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Actually, i have visited devmaster and have looked into some engines there... however i haven't tried some of those popular ones but have tried those that i had mention. Hence only commented on those fews

:>

in fact, i'm also a ogre3d user. however, have switch to osg since working as my company uses osg for the in-house engines
It's easy to earn respect... just work-hard and smart AND stop playing Wow in office
Quote:Original post by Elmo Song
in fact, i'm also a ogre3d user. however, have switch to osg since working as my company uses osg for the in-house engines

Ohh, how is OSG? In the beginning I saw it and was thinking about giving it a try for a game, but ehh, I just stuck with trying Ogre. Do you have any more details on OSG?
Osg
- is more of a rendering engine for simulation than games
- have various file format supported from flt, open flight to 3ds file, ogre have relatively lesser file format supported.
- allows more controls compare to ogre (but of course you can go straight to the code and add in a few lines to expose some functions)

However personally, i still prefer to use ogre as i feel at times

"giving more means less"

i like the fact that ogre actually hide these functions from me and handle all these stuff from the engine. :> - maybe it's me that's lazy
*Cough* Quake 2 *Cough*
#define engine

You've mixed full blown game engines with render cores :/

render cores/engines
- ogre3d
- openscenegraph
- The Nebula Device 2

game engines
- torque (100 buck)
- panda 3d

You should give some thought about this because implementing your own sound core, event system, scripting system, etc. will take alot of time. Not to mention the overly pure joy of making all the pieces fit and work together.
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
yake is a new game engine (using ogre3d as one rendering plugin). it's still quite young which can be a advantage/disadvantage depending on your needs :)

-codeandroid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement