Camera On a Line

Started by
4 comments, last by leiavoia 18 years, 11 months ago
There is a tech show at my school next week, and I would like to put my terrain engine in there as a WIP...but I dont want the user to have control. I would like my camera to "fly" around randomly... Does anyone have any articles or any thoughts on how this can be achieved? It would start at 0,0, and it wouldn't be able to past a certain point (because of the sky dome radius), and would have to stay above the terrain in height... Any ideas on how to get it to move around smoothly and give a good flying feeling? It has to be able to be implemented fairly easily and quickly. Thanks.
Advertisement
I think the easiest and quickest way would be to do a simple waypoint system. But make the waypoints randomly generated within the bounds on the world. Then just give the camera some basic movement stats (acceleration, max speed, max turning speed, etc), and let it do its thing.

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
I would also factor in the actual height of the terrain - if you need to be in height 10, for example, do it 10+current terrain height, so you won't get into trouble. Also, I would have the camera either look to the center point in the terrain, or as an angle in the different axis from its current position, so you'd have effects like staring ahead, or to the sides, or down, etc.
Dubito, Cogito ergo sum.
Quote:Original post by DadleFish
I would also factor in the actual height of the terrain - if you need to be in height 10, for example, do it 10+current terrain height, so you won't get into trouble. Also, I would have the camera either look to the center point in the terrain, or as an angle in the different axis from its current position, so you'd have effects like staring ahead, or to the sides, or down, etc.

Maybe calculate 2 points eveytime you reach a target waypoint; the next waypoint, and a new random 'look point'.

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Sounds beautiful to me! Thanks guys!
I think it would look "smarter" if you manually defined position/look-at points and simply put them in an array. You would of course interpolate between the points for a smooth ride. You could give a virtual tour of the terrain without it looking like it was filmed by a half-minded bumblebee with a camera strapped to his back.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement