What all is required for a working game engine?

Started by
21 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 5 months ago
Whooaa Cool I love this like thanks a low Drew_Benton this was exactly the kind of guidelines I was looking for in order to start the creation of game engine demo... if I can ever see the end of it :P

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by kburkhart84
My recommendation is to use either OpenGL or DirectX if your looking at 3d. A good engine will have both and the rendering will be unknown to the user of the engine, thoug the user may be able to request one or the other. The engine usually decides which to use.

Actually, you should just use Ogre3d. I know it's been mentioned before, but it's still an awesome engine. With Ogre3D, applications that you write will start up with a dialog box that allows the user to choose whether it'll run in OpenGL or Direct3D (7 or 9). Besides that, it is a graphics system of least surprises, that is, if you are looking for a certain method, you will most likely find it. Ogre3D gets rid of all the low-level OpenGL and Direct3D details, and lets you concentrate on the overall graphics.

But there is a huge con - Ogre's massive size.

I quote from the FAQ:
Quote:
Is OGRE A Game Engine?
No. OGRE can be (and indeed has been) used to make games, but OGRE is deliberately designed to provide just a world-class graphics solution; for other features like sound, networking, AI, collision, physics etc, you will need to integrate it with other libraries, something several frameworks have done, and we have a collision / physics reference integration library as an example in our distribution.
Guys guys, tell me why that every engine i have come across is geared towards programmers and not artist? I mean how is anyone going to produce a good game for your engine if you limit yourself to programmers? WATHA H_LL?

(atleast let us have the dam .exe so we can start using the dam engine you B__CH)

Is there any engine with comparable qualitys to nebula but more friendly to artist. Or if anyone has an already built version of nebula 2 please share it with the world

I think the reason crappy games have been appearing soo much in the millinium is because of this very fact that games are getting more complicated and artis are having to reply on programmers to make games. Just joking =)

Does anyone want to help share a already built version of nebula 2 so non-programmers can freaken open the dam engine and expereinve with it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement