Sign in to follow this  

Shortest / Simplest Path Algorithm

This topic is 4593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I am looking for information, links or sources for a shortest paths algorithm for public transport. My current data set includes: Transport companies Lines traveled by the companies. Each line can have multiple ways and return ways Stations Links between each of the stations, with information including distance, traveling time and waiting time Timetables of which buses leave on which day and what time, for each way. Multiple entries could be possible The algorithm should take in consideration the following: Find the shortest & logical path by forcing a starting company. Find the shortest & logical path by forcing the same line. Find the shortest & logical path by forcing the same way. Find the shortest & logical path by forcing the same company but changing any line. Find the shortest & logical path by minimizing the number of changes. Find the shortest & logical path by finding every path possible. By logical I mean that the path should stick to the same line and way if a station exists, even though it could not be the shortest path. This is logical because a person would not want to change the bus for one stop and then proceed on the same line he was originally traveling on. Distances, departure times, traveling times and waiting times should also be considered in the calculations. Thanks, Ivan

cryo75, it is against forum policy to cross post the same question across multiple forums! This question has also been posted in M&P here. Please restrict your question to one forum. If it is in the wrong forum, a moderator can move it for you. Simply PM the forum moderator and ask them to move it for you, rather than cross post.

As for your problem, there are inumerable solutions in Operations Research for this sort of optimisation/scheduling problem. I would suggest trying [google] first before seeking advice here.

Timkin

[Edited by - Timkin on May 16, 2005 8:19:34 PM]

This topic is 4593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.