Sign in to follow this  

Help: Math Book Recommendations for Furthur Study

This topic is 4592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I would like to ask you guys for books in the following subjects that I can stick for a long time as a reference and for going beyond the basics. Books on: Linear Algebra Calculus Physics THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!!

Calculus: Early Transcendentals by James Stewart is supposed to be a good one.

Not sure about the other two.

I think the problem with most text books though is that they're extremely tedious to read. Maybe it's just me though. :P

Calculus: Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards. I used this book all the way through engineering school

Physics: Serway and Beichner

Road to Reality: Roger Penrose (a good overview)

Physics for Game Developers: Bourg

Mathematics for Game Developers: Tremblay

Introduction to Topology: Gamelin and Greene (understand this one and the math for 3D will never bother you again)

Modeling of Dynamic Systems: Close, Frederick, and Newell

None of these books are an easy read. Many are textbooks. But the only way to really understand math and physics is to do it, then do it again, then again, then again etc.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Don't learn math. And don't learn programming. It fucking sickens me everytime I see a fucker sitting on his computer wasting his life because he thinks hes going to make a 'cool' game and impress his friends and gain godly knowledge from the experience. Fact is, you're increasing the chances of blood clot, you're gaining weight (which isn't bad in all cases), you'll probably become a diebetic. Everytime you're on the computer thats less time for getting laid. You're losing out on vital verbal communication skills.

Now get off your fucking ass, go outside, and forget about anything that has to do with games. You're on the path that the fat fuckers on this forum don't want you to know about so you can be an obese retard like them with non-existence girlfriends.

Good luck on your quest, friend.

Hi again,

This is the first thread I've made that received something as educational as this reply
Quote:

Don't learn math. And don't learn programming. It fucking sickens me everytime I see a fucker sitting on his computer wasting his life because he thinks hes going to make a 'cool' game and impress his friends and gain godly knowledge from the experience. Fact is, you're increasing the chances of blood clot, you're gaining weight (which isn't bad in all cases), you'll probably become a diebetic. Everytime you're on the computer thats less time for getting laid. You're losing out on vital verbal communication skills.

Now get off your fucking ass, go outside, and forget about anything that has to do with games. You're on the path that the fat fuckers on this forum don't want you to know about so you can be an obese retard like them with non-existence girlfriends.

Good luck on your quest, friend.

I don't know why but I would like to ask that you at least tell us who you are or at least give some information about yourself and why you replied as such, because I really can't understand why I should quit learning math and programming. Now back to the topic.

@Hakiko:

I have a friend who owns Mathematics for Game Developers. It has about 650 pages and lots of topics covered, but what I don't like about it is that it's mainly for a reference. The topics aren't covered with enough depth for someone new to the topic. There are parts in it that I already new and parts that I don't. Those that I don't, I have to refer to other books to fully understand it which beats the purpose of me buying the book to learn more.

About your recommendation in the Calculus book.
Quote:
Calculus: Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards

Is the book written by these three people together or they have their own books? Because I'll try to see if our bookstore has it. Also, Books book by Howard Anton et al, and by James Stewart (mentioned by Arkainium) are available in our bookstore. And from the reviews they seem to be ok. Can you recommend this?

I'll check out those Physics books that you've mentioned. THANKS A LOT!!

This topic is 4592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.