Sign in to follow this  

Need Help...

This topic is 4597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright, I am trying to create a 2D trivia game, but am having some problems. I am only getting 22 FPS, and on top of that, it takes up 70% CPU power (at peak), and I'm running on 2.4 GHZ, 512 MB RAM, and 64 MB VRAM. Could someone test this and tell me what's wrong with my code that its doing this? http://www.geocities.com/z2server/MyGame.zip Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by zealotgi
Come on! 18 views and nobody has anything?!

I dont have the link to hand, but you might well want to read the various articles online about how to ask a good question. I don't like to be blunt - but it's probably why you have 22 views and 1 reply

Anyway,

Try rephrasing your question
- What profiling have you done? Do you have any clue as to what/where it's slowing down?
- Roughly how does your game work? Summarize it - we dont have time to read all of your code!
- What version/components are you using? C++/C#/MDX/Native-DX, DirectDraw7, D3D8, D3D9 etc...
- How much testing have you done? Have you tried any different platforms/configurations (any other players/machines)

hth
Jack

as jj pointed out, first profile. Anything that can giv eyou an idea of where things are slowing down is a help. I looked at the code and since this is the code from Jim Adams book I can tell you that your problem is most probably related to the non-batching of certain calls. But still you should check where exactly it's hurting. Add a globa variable to keep track of the time, call GetTicCount/timeGetTime/any_timer before and after sections of code and see how long it took to accomplish (you may need to use a more precise measuring function like QueryPerformanceCounter to get more accurate results). Eitehr way, do that and tell us where most time is being spent.

By the way as a side note, it's common courtesy to at least leave the name of the author of the code in place. And I'm not sure, but are you even allowed to distribute that code? (anyone?)

This topic is 4597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.