Sign in to follow this  

resetting screen after X app crash

This topic is 4593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

sometimes, X games/apps that are fullscreen and close without resetting the previous resolution (XLogical, epsxe). How can i put the resolution back without restarting the X server/opening sax2?

If the game just changed the viewport size, the normal way to toggle through the available viewports is to use Control+Alt+Plus or Control+Alt+Minus. The xvidtune program does the same thing. If the game really changed the resolution, try using xrandr.

Most desktop environments will allow you to pull up a "run program" dialog with a keyboard shortcut if you can't find the icon (e.g., Alt+F2). Or, you can drop to a terminal, login as yourself, set the DISPLAY environment variable, and then run the program (xvidtune or xrandr) from there. Or, you could just kill the X session if you're lazy and have nothing running to lose (Alt+Control+Backspace).

When I play games that take over the entire screen (or try to) and I'm already doing something I'll come back to later, I run them in their own X session. It's easy to run many at a time and switch between them. I know GDM provides a one-click way to do this, KDM and friends likely do as well.

Sign in to follow this