Visual Studio Time

Started by
10 comments, last by _jinx_ 18 years, 11 months ago
Alright, I've been working with Dev-C++ for a while now, but I'm making the move to DirectX and the combination can be quite a pain if you're using the latest SDK. So I'm making the move to Visual Studio .NET. Just a couple of question though. First of all, what exactly does .NET infer (I know it has something to do with C#...maybe...)? Second of all, I was wondering where I can get a good, free, download source. I went to order VS 2005 Beta 2, and my order processed, but it's backordered, so god knows when it might become available. Thanks! -IV

-IVHumble Student

Advertisement
What is .NET?
Also if you will just be using c++ you can probably just download this, but I have never used it before and cannot really say if it is any good.
Quote:First of all, what exactly does .NET infer (I know it has something to do with C#...maybe...)?

".NET" is Microsofts latest development platform.. it wraps up a whole load of technologies such as the CLR (Common Language Runtime) and MSIL (MS Intermediary Language?). Many languages can use the .Net platform, C# is a new language that they designed to make "perfect" use of it (rather than bolting .Net onto an existing language(s)).

Quote:Second of all, I was wondering where I can get a good, free, download source.

I don't think you can download the full thing legally [wink], but you might want to try some of the links from my journal entry. If you don't mind the wait, you can get the CD Images for the latest VS2005 beta's...

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

jollyjeffers: I know who you are! You're that guy who stole my first name! I've read your DevJournal, that's a great project you're working on!

Any second opinions on Visual Studio 2005 Express. As McCoy pointed out, it looks like a very good tool. And is C# a difficult language to pick up if you already know C++?

-IV

-IVHumble Student

Visual Studio .Net is their latest version of the Visual Studio development platform. It has a comprehensive set of IDE's which enable you to program in a variety of languages, including but not limited to: C, C++, Managed C++, C#. You are not forced to use the .Net platform if you just want to build native applications. You can get the beta 2 express editions for VS2005 right now (although they are beta, so expect bugs). You could get VS2003, but with 2005 being released relatively soon now, I personally would wait.

C# is easy to pick up if you know C++, it's got some quirks you'll have to get used to, but for the most part the transition is fairly smooth.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Quote:Original post by Washu
(although they are beta, so expect bugs)

I don't think I'll be programming some very advanced applications, so I won't have to worry about that. Well, I think while I wait for my copy of VS 2005 Beta 2 I'll use the express version. Does it work relatively flawlessly with DirectX?

-IV

-IVHumble Student

Quote:Original post by TraderJack
Quote:Original post by Washu
(although they are beta, so expect bugs)

I don't think I'll be programming some very advanced applications, so I won't have to worry about that. Well, I think while I wait for my copy of VS 2005 Beta 2 I'll use the express version. Does it work relatively flawlessly with DirectX?

-IV

I've lost the thread link, but one of the big problems with the latest beta-2 release was that (for VC++) the dialog for specifying lib/include folders for the compiler was completely broken [smile]

The bugs aren't limited to the code it generates/compiles, it's as likely they're with the actual program and corresponding GUI...

Quote:jollyjeffers: I know who you are! You're that guy who stole my first name!

[lol] I like it so I'm keeping it [razz]

Quote:I've read your DevJournal, that's a great project you're working on!

Thanks [smile] More information on that (and other things) coming soon [wink]

Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Well, I got VSC++ 2005 Express Edition Beta. Not only is it buggy, but a tediously difficult to use interface. It's always asking me about a header file called "stdafx" and wont even run a simple Hello World program. Maybe I should just stick to Dev-C++ and Allegro for now...

-IV

-IVHumble Student

Quote:Original post by TraderJack
Well, I got VSC++ 2005 Express Edition Beta. Not only is it buggy, but a tediously difficult to use interface. It's always asking me about a header file called "stdafx" and wont even run a simple Hello World program. Maybe I should just stick to Dev-C++ and Allegro for now...

-IV

Have you tried the Eclipse C/C++ Development Tools? I haven't heard any reports about them working (or not working) with Win32/DX, but if you're in the market for a new IDE then it could be a worth a look [smile]

hth
Jack

That one looks good! Any second opinions out there?

-IVHumble Student

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement