SSH from windows into linux...

Started by
8 comments, last by tksuoran 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi I have an interesting problem but am unable to find any help on the internet. I am using Cygwin/X to ssh into a linux server on campus which I use for my graphics programming class. For some reason I cannot run my programs remotely. I get an error saying that freeglut failed to create the window. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Thanks. By the way, I know these programs work because they run fine if I run them from the linux lab.
Advertisement
Try using the -X (uppercase X) option for SSH. It enables X forwarding. That might help.
Thanks, I'll try that.
X11 forwarding either isn't enabled on the server (/etc/ssh/sshd.conf has a ForwardX11 option to enable) or your ssh client didn't ask for forwarded X11 (use the -X option or the "Forward X11" option in PuTTY).

You can check to see that it worked by echoing the $DISPLAY environment variable once you're connected; it's usually something like localhost:10.0 on my machines when I'm connected remotely but as long as it's not blank, it should work okay.
Hardware accelerated OpenGL won't work across an SSH connection, will it? I've never gotten it to work. Mesa will, though.
I like the DARK layout!
Quote:Original post by BradDaBug
Hardware accelerated OpenGL won't work across an SSH connection, will it? I've never gotten it to work. Mesa will, though.

No, it won't, and that was the point I was just coming back here to make. You could theoretically do software mode GL but, again, forwarded X11 on that would be brutally slow unless you practically had fiber lines between the server and your client.
I'm using Mesa across a network right now. I can get an 800 x 600 window running remotely at a max of about 20 fps across my 100mbps LAN. I don't know if that's just the limits of the rendering or the network, though, since the server doing the software rendering is just an old 900 MHz machine. Whenever much of anything is drawn on the screen it drops to about 10 fps, so the software rendering is probably going to be much more of a bottleneck than the network, unless it's actually going out across the internet. That'd be impossible without a very high speed connection.
I like the DARK layout!
Well, that's what I meant. You might be able to do it across a 100Mbit or gigabit LAN but doing it over the Internet (or even a campus WAN back to the lab) is going to be bloody hard.
I think you can use hardware-accelerated OpenGL through a network (the commands are sent to the local computer which renders them), but it'll be damn slow. I really recommend that you install a local copy and run it (if you can).

Hope it helps!
- fyhuang [ site ]
Quote:Original post by BradDaBug

It can work. This depends on the X server you are running. I hope you are running one, because if you were not, it would might have been the cause ofyour problem. I have used Putty and Xming, and indeed I do get hardware acceleration. The renderer, vendor and version strings match the hardware I have, not the linux hardware. But it did not work perfectly: it worked only if it was the only X window on my server, and the speed was not too great even in a local area network.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement