Sign in to follow this  

Deleting a file in C

This topic is 4587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Umm, this is kind of embarasing, but so far, in my 3 years of C I never needed to delete a file. I think that the function is unlink() but I am not 100% sure (from what I read, it does some fancy things, such as decrementing the refference count and such). So, is unlink() the [only/right] way to delete a file? P.S. I need a generic C function, not windows or something.

Well, DevC++ (gcc) seems to know about it.
This is for an MMORPG server and it will run on Posix (FreeBSD), and on Windows for local testing.
If VC can also emulate it, the better (one developer has VC).

Googled and found this:
remove

Quote:

int remove ( const char * filename );

Delete a file.
Deletes the file specified by filename. It is compiled as a call to the system function for deleting files (unlink, erase or del).

Parameters.

filename
Path and name of the file to be removed.

Return Value.
If the file is succesfully deleted a 0 value is returned.
On error a non-zero value is returned and the errno variable is set with the corresponding error code that that can be printed with a call to perror:

remove() is not standard. unlink() is the POSIX standard -- the talk about "reference counts" is what "delete a file" really means on UNIX systems. Usually, it just removes the file (unless there are multiple hard links).

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
remove() is not standard. unlink() is the POSIX standard -- the talk about "reference counts" is what "delete a file" really means on UNIX systems. Usually, it just removes the file (unless there are multiple hard links).

Now where'd you learn that? I have multiple sources that say remove is standard:

Quote:
From subpages of http://www.unix.org/version3/apis.html, previously linked in this thread:

POSIX			P96
Interface XSI Base U98 U95 P92 C99 C89 SVID3 BSD
[...]
remove() m m m m m m m m .
[...]
unlink() m m m m m . . m m
[...]
m Indicates that the interface is defined as mandatory.
[...]
. Indicates that the interface is not specified.

Quote:
From panda@industry:~$ man 3 remove:
NAME
remove - delete a name and possibly the file it refers to

SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h>

int remove(const char *pathname);
[...]

CONFORMING TO
ANSI C, SVID, AT&T, POSIX, X/OPEN, BSD 4.3

Guest Anonymous Poster
This book on ANSI C by Kernighan and Ritchie and Bell Labs (who wrote the language, I believe), has remove() as a standard library function.

This topic is 4587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.