Sign in to follow this  

2 Questions...

This topic is 4593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First of all, something strange is happening with the friction i am adding to my ragdoll test with Verlet Integration... i am using "Force += -1 * (X - oldX)" for my friction... it works and comes to a stop but as soon as it stops, it goes in the other direction, then slows down and heads back in the other direction, then the other, and so on slinging back and forth... Does anyone know what is happening? (EDIT: Actually, never mind... got friction working... need help on next question) Ive also got one more question... How can i simulate the right physcis for a box and other objects besides particles... I mean, say there is a box falling and it hits the ground on its corner, how do i know to get it to rotate untill it falls on its side at rest??? Or say a barrel was pushed and it was leaning on its rim, how could i get it to rotate untill it falls over on its side... [Edited by - Rami7007 on May 15, 2005 11:28:21 PM]

The paper:
http://www.gamasutra.com/resource_guide/20030121/jacobson_01.shtml
describes how to represent objects other than particles.

If you're working in 2D maybe the verlet/particle approach is OK - in fact maybe it's good. In 3D I don't think it's a good approach. Yes, it's easy to set up a little demo, but turning that into a robust system that you could use in a game becomes way more complicated, full of hacks, less physically realistic, and slower than a basic impulse based simulator. Well, that's my experience (having implemented both) anyway. I've seen a lot of impressive impulse-based physics demos - but not one impressive Verlet/particle based one (that I can remember!). There's a reason for this...

Edit: Just checked your previous posts - seems like you've already asked this question before and got loads of answers - I don't get why you're asking again...!

This topic is 4593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.