Sign in to follow this  

Torque questions

This topic is 4588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I know some of you have experience with the Torque Game Engine (TGE) and I would like to ask a few questions. I downloaded two windows demo's of the product, but: - they both started with a dosbox screen first. Is it always like that or can it be different, as it looks unprofessional for a windows game (imo) - I had no sound! Though it lsited the openAL drivers, they didn't work. Can you tell me about the sound? - What is your overall impression / experience with it? Anywayz, I'm just a little tired of programming my own engine, I wanna create something using someone elses engine (not restricted to opensource linsences). This would be a good choice right? [Edited by - Ruudje on May 16, 2005 6:52:35 AM]

1) Yes you can remove the console afaik.
2) Not sure about your sound problems, might get better help on the garage games public forums?
3) Torque is extreamly good value for money. Have a play with the demo a little, you have access to the full scripting capabilites of TGE as well as the mission editor. The only thing the demo doesn't allow you to do is modify the engine. You can a lot in script alone that its worth spending some time experimenting.

Once you reach a point where you want to do an engine change or just have access to the private forums and resources, then its time to spend the $100 which imo its more than worth :)

Quote:
Original post by Ruudje
Hmm, the demo I found was more of a showcase what the engine can do, not the actual dev.tools.

*goes back to GarageGames*

tnx =D

Many of the tools are part of the engine--next time you're in one of the demos press F11 (IIRC).

You can do whatever you want as far as modifying what the user can access when you purchase the engine as you have the entire source code. Its very easy to disable the mission editor. TGE is awesome value for money. You could pretty much build a game entirely in script if you wanted to.

I'm not sure why you are having trouble with sound, maybe try updating your sound drivers.

Harley

I found that I do have sound, but some sounds are just very faint. I have asked about it on the official GG forums.

But about the editors... Do you have to use the editors in the actual game you are making to create the content? I thought they would be standalone programs.. Little confused.

The editors are Torque "applets" that, by default, are loaded along with your game. That way you have access to the editors while testing. You are required by the EULA to remove the editors (and any .cs files other than your own) from the game before you release/distribute it.

Quote:
Original post by stodge
"You are required by the EULA to remove the editors"

Really? I never knew that.

The tile editor and the particle editor. It's ok to keep in access to the console editor and the mission editor.

EDIT - Note: this is from the Torque2D EULA. The Torque license is different, so I'm not sure about the details related to the editors (except the mission editor). It may be ok to redistribute the editors with a Torque game, but not a Torque2D game. I doubt it, though.

[Edited by - Dave Hunt on May 17, 2005 12:46:00 PM]

T2D is slightly differnt EULA wise in that you are not allowed to distribute either the editors or the scripts to your game. You distribute the compiled dso files rather than the cs scripts. Whether this will change in the future, I don't know.

TGE however, which is the Torque Game Engine, has no such restriction on the distribution of cs files. However many people still remove those and just distribute the dsos. As for TGE's editors, I'm not sure about whether you have to remove those or not before distribution, the licence will cover it if you do thought. Regardless, they're easy enough to disable/remove so theres nothing stopping you removing them.

T2D ships with a tile editor, particle editor and gui editor.

TGE comes with a gui editor and mission editor.

Be aware that T2D is still in the early adopter stage. As such it is not yet finished, but its already quite feature rich and stable. The biggest thing missing though is real time networking, which is on the to do list before the final release. TSE which is the updated version of TGE is also in EA phase. It looks amazing though :)

The editors are to help you build your game, but there is nothing stopping you ripping them out and building your own. As for building maps and models, you use external tools for that such as Quark or Cartography Shop for mapping and blender, milkshape, 3ds or maya for modelling. Theres a lot more information about the tge pipeline on the GarageGames website though.

BTW if you want to see what TGE is capable of in the hands of a good dev team, check out the WarZone demo.

This topic is 4588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.