Torque questions

Started by
12 comments, last by muphicks 18 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by stodge
"You are required by the EULA to remove the editors"

Really? I never knew that.

The tile editor and the particle editor. It's ok to keep in access to the console editor and the mission editor.

EDIT - Note: this is from the Torque2D EULA. The Torque license is different, so I'm not sure about the details related to the editors (except the mission editor). It may be ok to redistribute the editors with a Torque game, but not a Torque2D game. I doubt it, though.

[Edited by - Dave Hunt on May 17, 2005 12:46:00 PM]
Advertisement
T2D is slightly differnt EULA wise in that you are not allowed to distribute either the editors or the scripts to your game. You distribute the compiled dso files rather than the cs scripts. Whether this will change in the future, I don't know.

TGE however, which is the Torque Game Engine, has no such restriction on the distribution of cs files. However many people still remove those and just distribute the dsos. As for TGE's editors, I'm not sure about whether you have to remove those or not before distribution, the licence will cover it if you do thought. Regardless, they're easy enough to disable/remove so theres nothing stopping you removing them.

T2D ships with a tile editor, particle editor and gui editor.

TGE comes with a gui editor and mission editor.

Be aware that T2D is still in the early adopter stage. As such it is not yet finished, but its already quite feature rich and stable. The biggest thing missing though is real time networking, which is on the to do list before the final release. TSE which is the updated version of TGE is also in EA phase. It looks amazing though :)

The editors are to help you build your game, but there is nothing stopping you ripping them out and building your own. As for building maps and models, you use external tools for that such as Quark or Cartography Shop for mapping and blender, milkshape, 3ds or maya for modelling. Theres a lot more information about the tge pipeline on the GarageGames website though.

BTW if you want to see what TGE is capable of in the hands of a good dev team, check out the WarZone demo.
You're a member of the dev. team?

Anywayz, I already checked it and it looked awesome. Huge amount of details in the "world". The shooting effects could be better though ;)
Quote:Original post by Ruudje
You're a member of the dev. team?

No, just a happy customer :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement