Sign in to follow this  

C4 Engine Indie License Now Available for $100

This topic is 4583 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Terathon Software is now licensing the C4 Engine to developers at the indie-friendly price of $100 per seat. The C4 Engine provides state-of-the-art per-pixel lighting, stencil and soft shadows, an advanced material system, and an integrated user interface system. It also includes a complete sound system, input management, multiplayer networking, and much more. Source code is included, and licensees receive code updates for life! A free demo can be downloaded from the C4 Engine website: http://www.terathon.com/c4engine/

Your engine looks very nice judging from the screenshots and features listed on the webpage. Unfortunately I don't have any need for it at the moment, but I'll definately keep that in mind for the future and to recommend to others.

I do however have a question regarding input management; I assume input from both a mouse and keyboard can be handled, but can the engine handle input from any other devices such as a joystick or keypad?

This looks very, very nice! I am not in the need for it atm, but I might be eventually. I'm downloading the demo right now. However I have a few questions for you.

1. Will the $100 price ever change (for the worse) in the future? Well I guess, are there any plans to eventually have price raises as more and more people start to use it. (The same goes for the 'commercial' license as well of $500)

2. This is more of a request than a question, but how does your engine differ from something like, let's say Torque and Ogre? (graphics capabilities wise from Ogre since it is not a complete game engine).

3. Right now, I see that it says: "Support for 3D Studio MAX via plugin modules", are there any plans for other formats, namely free modeling programs such as Blender?

4. Looking at the Architecture, I see there is a plugin layer. Are there plans to allow users to creat their own plugins and load them up in the same way to add functionality to the engine?

Ok that's it for now. Like I said, I'm not in the immediate need for this, so feel free to take your time a response. Good luck with your engine! It looks very promising.

Hi --

1) We don't have any plans to ever change the license prices, but that's not a guarantee.

2) I don't know enough details about Torque or Ogre to make a fair comparison, but I know enough to say that the lighting and shadowing in C4 Engine is considerably more advanced. The lighting system is tied in with a unique and elegant scene graph design that makes C4 Engine a very powerful gaming platform.

3) We are committed to making plugins for Maya, but we also want to be able to import data from as many sources as possible. Blender is on our list.

4) Yes, users can make their own plugins right now, and several plugin modules that ship with the engine can serve as examples.

-- Eric Lengyel

Sure looks great, but also lags terribly on my 5900 FX card and 3.4ghz system.
Again, it looks GREAT :) But without reasonable FPS that ain't gonna sell me. Also, seems like alot of important features are missing and the camera stutters alot.

I'll check back later, definatly interesting.

Runs great on my AMD 3500 and ATI X800XL, BUT the demo is so ugly it makes the engine look bad, even if it isn't. The worst thing is probably the level design... Horrible!

But I like the shadows and bump mapping...

Quote:
Original post by MickePicke
Runs great on my AMD 3500 and ATI X800XL, BUT the demo is so ugly it makes the engine look bad, even if it isn't. The worst thing is probably the level design... Horrible!

But I like the shadows and bump mapping...

Yes, we are acutely aware of the ugly level design. The demo was never intended for anything more than showing technology. Unfortunately, we don't have any artists on staff. We're planning to contract out some work, but hiring good people takes a lot of money.

Quote:
Original post by SymLinked
Sure looks great, but also lags terribly on my 5900 FX card and 3.4ghz system.
Again, it looks GREAT :) But without reasonable FPS that ain't gonna sell me. Also, seems like alot of important features are missing and the camera stutters alot.

I'll check back later, definatly interesting.

This doesn't sound right. The demo should be extremely smooth on an FX5900 (over 100 fps in most places), and there shouldn't be any camera stuttering. It sounds like something else about your system was hosing the demo. What CPU are you running on? Did you have a lot of other stuff running at the same time? Is your Nvidia driver up to date? Can you send me your C4Log.html file? (lengyel@terathon.com)

Eric,

Got everything working as it should. Newest DirectX, not the newest drivers but they are 3 weeks old and the recently released one is like 0.03 revisions infront.

The game runs at 90ish FPS most of the time, but when I ran deeper into the building it went crazy and started to really chop around, the camera was stuttering all the time.

I haven't got the engine left on my HDD, but I'll download it again tonight if I get some spare time, and I'll send you the logfile.

Can't say it's likely that I'll ever use this, but DAMN it looks nice man [smile] Congrats to the team, for the sort of price you guys are giving it out for (and I do mean giving it out) it would definitely be one of my first choices should I ever finish my current project and move onto something more advanced!

Eric,

I would of been tempted to buy it just to see the source code - BUT the demo crashes on start up. Too bad you don't have an error log that I could send you but here are my system specs

Mobility ATI Radeon 9600 AGP 64 mb of ram with vs2_0 + ps 2_0 support.

Running on WinXP

EDIT: DX9 April2005 update - with latest drivers(I believe)

Quote:
Original post by ph33r
Eric,

I would of been tempted to buy it just to see the source code - BUT the demo crashes on start up. Too bad you don't have an error log that I could send you but here are my system specs

Mobility ATI Radeon 9600 AGP 64 mb of ram with vs2_0 + ps 2_0 support.

Running on WinXP

EDIT: DX9 April2005 update - with latest drivers(I believe)

Hi --

Thanks for the info. Do you at least get to the main menu in the demo? You're running build 105, right? (Earlier version are known the crash ATI drivers.) Do you know which version of the Catalyst driver you're running? (Find out in the Display Control Panel -> Settings Tab -> Advanced -> Options Tab.)

excellent work my friend!! (i just bought your math for 3d game programming and graphics 2nd ed & loving it btw!)

you just need some decent art work, i cant help there but you should seriously
consider getting some venture capital, it would be very worth while investing
in this technology.

Cheers
-Danu

Eric,

Since I have a labtop(mobility card) I can't install the latest catalyst drivers. I have to use the drivers from HP and they havn't updated it in a long time. But the OMEGA drivers allow me to use catalyst 5.4, after installing that the demo worked fine.

Quote:
Original post by ph33r
Eric,

Since I have a labtop(mobility card) I can't install the latest catalyst drivers. I have to use the drivers from HP and they havn't updated it in a long time. But the OMEGA drivers allow me to use catalyst 5.4, after installing that the demo worked fine.

Yeah, I have an HP laptop with an FX5700 in it -- the drivers are about 2 years old and I can't install the latest ones. Sucks.

Quote:
Original post by silvermace
excellent work my friend!! (i just bought your math for 3d game programming and graphics 2nd ed & loving it btw!)

you just need some decent art work, i cant help there but you should seriously
consider getting some venture capital, it would be very worth while investing
in this technology.

Cheers
-Danu

Glad to hearing you're loving the book. And, yes, I would give my right eye for some decent artwork in the engine. :)

Sign in to follow this