Sign in to follow this  

.X Files Out Of Maya Problem

This topic is 4597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, (artist speaking here) ;) I'm exporting .x files out from Maya, and previously (version 5 or maya) it worked via the export through maya with a nice dialog options box, the new version of the .X exporter (Feb SDK and April SDK Update) installs in a whole different way, and is accessed via the main menu's in Maya instead, anyway, so far I've only been able to export black objects (fixed by colouring vertices), but... How do I export an object with a texture, because for the life of me I haven't been able to do it yet, think I've exhausted every option I can find so far, just a standard .tga (also tried DDS) file attached via a lambert, please help, before I damage my machine in frustration... :) Thanks

No idea if it will help you any but as I needed just stupidly basic export information (verts & tx1) I opted to continue using the dx8 .x exporter.

Perhaps that is an option?

Thanks, I'm considering using the older version 5 version of the plugin, it was a nice pipeline straight in and out. It's just I'm using Maya 6.5 now, and I'd prefer a pipeline directly out of that, I can't believe they'd make the new exporter so difficult to get anything even remotely 'simplistic' out of it, it almost seems like it is an object and material exporter, just no 'textures'... :/

Is there any other forums like this one, where I could possibly ask further questions, or does anyone have an email contant for someone on the MS Direct X Development Team ? As the MSDN site I found to be quite sparse on contact information, other than ringing them up on a premium rate line. ?

Guest Anonymous Poster
The exporter currently only supports the DirectXShader material which the plugin installs. It exports its material properties from that shader type only into the EffectInstance structures. It will probably have some sort of support for non-DirectXShader materials in the future but for now that is it.

-Daniel
WGGT/DirectX

Oh, right

Thanks for that information.

You'd think if support wasn't there for standard everyday objects, there would'e been the older exporter bundled too until develop takes over. seems crazy to me that I have to use Maya 5 to export Direct X objects with a texture, DDS isn't even supported in Maya 5, what a pain.

Regards

Guest Anonymous Poster
you can use a standard diffuse textured fx file

Ah, thanks again!

ok, being a non-techy, I'm using a pre-built engine, that requires no programming, kind of like a game creator for first person shooters, it's native format is .x files. However, I'm not sure how to create a simple .fx shader from scratch, is there an online resource anywhere, or a code example online for a straightforward material with a texture ?

Thanks

This topic is 4597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.