Sign in to follow this  

Hiya everyone

This topic is 4594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya i am new to the forums and just wanted to say hi. But i am wondering is their anyway of creating a small space shooter in a console application is this possible? I am just wanting to move text cells around the screen to make it look like their is movable objects my friend give me a scrolling banner program once so thats were i got my idea from. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

If you are coding under windows then i guess you could do it with ASCII art or something but there is no graphics library for the console. However if you are coding under linux you could use teh Curses Library for this.

The best thing is to go here.

Ace

Hello (=

Yes that would be possible.

By and large it is not that much harder to go a graphical route and use sdl/clanlib/alegro/etc. ad nauseam Certainly nothing wrong with text though (=

An ASCII star field has a certain charm to it anyway (=

Quote:
Original post by paulecoyote
The man you want to PM is benryves - his website is full of ASCII graphic
I concur.

As for a high-class console application, I personally would stay away from it, but that's just me. Some crazy people (*cough* Ben *cough*) love doing them.

One person said there was a virus in it. I downloaded it again and rescanned it, there were no viruses in it according to AVG. Also, a large number of GDNet members and b3ta.com members have all used it without encountering any problems.

The source is probably not the best thing to learn from (it was just a quick project and uses a number of dirty hacks and unclear routines).

The byte arrays at the top of the code are the graphics, RLE compressed. The function getEvents() reads the events for the active console window, and updates an array to flag the status of the keys as to whether they are pressed or not.

This topic is 4594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.