Sign in to follow this  

Ragdoll Masters is Done!

This topic is 4586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

two small suggestions:

1) could you make them each a different colour so its easier to keep track of them in all the confusion?

2) could you add a health bar in so we can see who is winning and who is losing?

great job tho! its simple yet fun :)

how come noone ever posts screenshots? I would love to check out some of the things on this forum but I don't trust .exe's.. post some screens for us paranoids :)

Awesome! Like dAmAtA_cHiP said, it would be nice to have different colors for the different players and life bars. Other stuff I can think of to add would be different backgrounds. By the way, is the game supposed to slow down when the two players collide? If so, then it's a neat effect, but it would be nice if there were something to indicate that it's deliberate: slight motion blur? Even a caption would be nice. Definitely some cool stuff, though! Keep up the good work!

My brother and I just played it, very cool :) My younger brother suggested (and I know it's way to much to add, plus legal issues, I still yhink it's funny) if you had poly models of Neo and agent Smith attached to the stick figures, I think it would add... somthing :b

most impressive. you should really consider putting that on a cell phone.
can you use bouncing off the walls as increasing your velocity? i couldn't tell if it was part of the game, a bug, or my eyes are playing tricks on me. if it's the first one, then could you make it part of the game? [smile]

Hi there! Wouldn´t have thought of a beat´em up like this when I suggested putting your ragdoll into one :) I thought of some kind of traditional beat´em up, with specific moves for each player, and the ragdoll only taking care of hits.
But, you know what: That game rocks :) I would like to see further versions of this, it´s incredibly funny. Too bad I´m alone right now, so I have to stick with your AI enemy.
I see you have added different colors for the players. Nice thing that is, but you could invert the color of player 1 in order to get a completely different color for player 2. This would get rid of the two players having nearly the same color, which occurred to me surprisingly often.
I really dislike that slow-down when the players hit each other.
but this are the only two flaws I can think of right now. Otherwise it´s just great. I even wouldn´t like polygonal models for the players in the sense of depicting something like a human. I think it would take the style out of it. But you could exchange them with something like lit tubes to have some eye candy :)

Great work!

hey thx!

Yeah I wanted to avoid at all costs to have to design pre-scripted moves, that would have been awfully hard,boring and long. The whole point of a "physics" approach is to let the "physics" create the movement, its a struggle to make it work but once it does, youre done! otherwise you might as well use sprites.

Hmmm... I doubt this could go on a cellphone, it's quite computationally intensive (there are two crucial algorithms, one that keeps the body parts together, and one that makes the "muscles" work, that are iterative and must be repeated about 20 times each frame) I'll wait for phones to be ultra=powerfull ;-)

the game rocks!

requests:
- network play (maybe more than 2 players)
- 3 modes: left mouse btn = move hands toward enemy's head, right mouse btn = guard your own head, no mouse button limp (current)

20 iterations per frame! seems a lot (not that I know...just seems that way). What methods do you use (if you don't mind my asking)?

Thank you!

the networking thing is undoable at the moment, since I have absolutely no clue how that works and I really dont have time to learn it (must be hard). The other one is doable, and I might look into it when I find some time.

Well here goes the physics trick: The players are really composed by balls, that at each frame move independently, then the iterative algorithm tries to get the balls back in shape by applying, to every couple of "linked" balls, a force proportional to their distance. This must be done many times to close all the gaps, (since trying to close one gap often opens another one). There is also another strength applied, that tries to keep all "angles" between balls at a certain degree, and works similarly. To get the math right is a NIGHTMARE, but conceptually its simple. Oh, then there are some more tricks but I wont go too much into detail ;-)

Quote:
- 3 modes: left mouse btn = move hands toward enemy's head, right mouse btn = guard your own head, no mouse button limp (current)

Yep i also thought about that...your game really rockz! But i think some gravity and having the ability to move the legs and arms independet would be awesome!

regards,
m4gnus

I'm loving this!

It's gotten a real hype here at school.
In half a hour I've played it for 1 minute in total, and distributed it to atleast 40 people.
Now, half an hour later, there are about a 100 people playing this.

I like it the way it is, I even manage to do some cool moves.

Like bumping into the ground while the other player goes over me, and then I hit him in the torso with my arm, and his knee collides with mine.

Or just missing the target.

Or hitting the opponent with both legs in the head when I just bounced off the wall and see the other opponent hit the wall head first.:P

The one thing we miss here is the Multiplayer.:P
It's a bit supicous with 10 people around a monitor.;)

And possibly a little bit of gravity.

Great job!

Very nice :)
I observed the gradual development of your game, as you updated the .exe and its nice to see what a project ends up like.

3 suggestions for finishing touches:
1) Change the name of the window instead of BlitzGL Window
2) Give the application a better icon instead of the default
3) Maybe you could add a simple particle system (blood or sparks) when colliding - nothing too fancy just some nice colourful points (pixels/dots/whatever) that fly out.

well-done :)

grrr I settle down to do some work and then find this!!

One of the things I would like is a simple slow-mo combo system - i.e. if you score another hit during slowdown it does more damage/more impact/whatever. I wouldn't think that it will be too hard to add.

BTW, what settings are you guys using? I've got speed 3 and everything else at 1 - it allows for some very nice combos during slow-mo (hence wanting the above added :D)

Excellent work all the same :).

Quote:
It's gotten a real hype here at school.
In half a hour I've played it for 1 minute in total, and distributed it to atleast 40 people.
Now, half an hour later, there are about a 100 people playing this.

Man, that makes me feel... "high" ;-)

Quote:
3) Maybe you could add a simple particle system (blood or sparks) when colliding - nothing too fancy just some nice colourful points (pixels/dots/whatever) that fly out.

Great idea, really in the spirit, I'm doing that for sure

Also I figured a way to put some sort of motion blur, so the slow motion will be cooler (and I'll put it as optional since somone doesnt like it)

Anyway, thx everyone for the feedback!

[Edited by - The Najdorf on May 17, 2005 1:01:10 PM]

Something else me and my (new found) friends have come up with.

A replay system, we made lot's of great moves and we would like to show them to others.

And a more responsive UI. I mean, I have to keep the Enter key pressed for 10 seconds before it responds.

But that might just be the 500MHz comps we have here at school.
At home it's more or less a couple of tabs on the enter and it selects it.

Also, the screens here at school are "fixed" (that means, we aren't supposed to have access to the right controls but are still able to change the size) at 1024x768, could you make it so that it can also be played in 800x600?

Quote:
MENTAL
BTW, what settings are you guys using? I've got speed 3 and everything else at 1 - it allows for some very nice combos during slow-mo (hence wanting the above added :D)

After some practice, I play the game at speed 10, everything else to 3 and blow power doesn't matter, though the best moves are at 1.

This topic is 4586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.