Ragdoll Masters is Done!

Started by
78 comments, last by The Najdorf 18 years, 10 months ago
fair enough, you can still play the "light" version ;-)

[Edited by - The Najdorf on May 21, 2005 11:48:13 PM]
Got a Mac? Check out my game at [a]http://www.radicalrebound.com[/a]
Advertisement
nothing against that shareware ideas of yours, you could try that. But: please don´t render the main menu completely useless. Perhaps it was a bug, but I couldn´t even get into the options menu or check out the controls. It just started the game at level 1 all the time.
John Carmack once said something nice about shareware: A good shareware title should show the player something they can´t get enough of and want more of it (like Doom 1 in its times).
Your title shows something to me I really like, but there is nothing I would expect from the full version I would pay money for. I like the simple gameplay, which really benefits from, or lives through the ragdolls. If it was my title, I would publish it freeware, since it is more or less something like those web games you see popping up everywhere (though it is much more fun like most of these).
You've got many points, but at least I would like to pay my 90$/year hosting :/
Hmm, the new link isn't working for me. It downloads a 12 kilobyte file that doesn't do anything when run.
It doesn't even start for me :'(
hmm... there somehow was a problem... should be fixed...
Its a fun game. But I also wouldn't pay for it. Its too simple.
I think that you should add more things before you charge for it.
To make a good shareware game one needs to consider why the consumer would want to pay you. In your game there is nothing to suggest to the gamer that they SHOULD buy the full version. As far as they can tell purchasing the full version will allow them access to menu items and perhaps unlock levels that only get increasingy difficult from the AI getting faster. There's not enough there to make them WANT to buy the full version.

You need to show glimpses of what they can expect and give them a reason to buy it. You could show screenies and give descriptions of the full version features upon exiting the game and you can give hints and reminders all the time that what they're currently playing is a sub-standard version - simply stick the word SHAREWARE on the windows and in the menus etc along with contact and payment details (web address).

One idea might be to advertise that the full version comes complete with 'RagdolMasters Dev-suite' a package suite implementing 'astounding realtime 2d ragdol physics, particle and gravity effect' that allows them to make their own characters - bosses - (game?) using the same technology that drives yours.

That would definately give them a good reason to purchase the full version!
Well I was really looking forward to trying this after reading the first couple of pages but your greed just killed off the interest for me... don't let good comments go to your head, the worst commercial games would get the best praise as an amateur game.
Quote:To make a good shareware game one needs to consider why the consumer would want to pay you. In your game there is nothing to suggest to the gamer that they SHOULD buy the full version. As far as they can tell purchasing the full version will allow them access to menu items and perhaps unlock levels that only get increasingy difficult from the AI getting faster. There's not enough there to make them WANT to buy the full version.

Thx, good points, I'll make sure the public release version is more convincing (i.e. nag screens etc...). Plus I'll keep it 5$, since it's admittedly a simple game.

Quote:Well I was really looking forward to trying this after reading the first couple of pages but your greed just killed off the interest for me...

Just because I'm trying to make it shareware? That's not a game dev's attitude...

Quote:don't let good comments go to your head, the worst commercial games would get the best praise as an amateur game.

Yeah, I know how this goes, I already made a game that was free at first then got shareware. Fan mails dropped to zero. But at least I made 500$.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement