Sign in to follow this  

making blocks for platform - terrain or something else?

This topic is 4598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to make a game in which there are a bunch of cubes that create platforms which the player jumps and walks on. How do I do this? Should it be created as a terrain or is there another way to do it?

If you are starting from scratch, then I'd suggest not creating an entire terrain engine for this special purpose. Other than that, more information is needed to properly suggest what you want to do. Do you want this to be a Mario type game, QBert type game, 3D platforms, etc? Do you want it to move or just let them move around on what's already on the screen?

Terrain is "lumpy hills and valleys". Cubes are just cubes. If you really just want cubes, the work needed to get a result will be 100x faster than your average terrain algorithm.

If you're just starting out, maybe I should point out that there is no limit to what your characters can walk and jump on. You just need to get the proper math studied. The math for cubes would be very simple. If they are axis-aligned, you could even avoid complex 3D math altogether.

I want this game to be along the style of
Frogger 2, but the game would be different.
I'm thinking of having large rooms with platform
blocks to jump around on, the room would be larger
than what could fit on the screen, so the camera
would move around in a large room. Each room would
be a level, that kind of thing. Would I be correct
to assume that I should create each room as a mesh?

This topic is 4598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.