[web] php - mysql - autentication

Started by
2 comments, last by Sander 18 years, 11 months ago
I have a table like this UserID - Primary Key Username Password I am using session, so I am just thinking freely here. If I have a class...

class User {
function LogIn( $username, $password ) { }
function LogOut() { }
function GetUserID { return $_SESSION[ 'UserID' ]; }
}

LogIn sets the $_SESSION, and logout destroy the session ... I can give more source later What if I stored a random number in $_SESSION[ SessionID ] = md5( time ); in the LogIn(). Should I then create an entry in my database called session, and store the md5( time ) there as well, and then if I run GetUserID(), I will check if the $_SESSION[ SessionID] have the same value as the session in the database? if not return 0; does it seem ok?
Advertisement
W...T...F

You know there is this meme that says not to teach someone [x]BASIC as their first language as it will scar them for life by embedding bad programming practices and generally just mucking up how they approach problems. I'm really starting to feel the same way about PHP/MySQL (though alone PHP seems work out just fine). Please Lord, strike down MySQL, for it has sinned against databases. Thank you, my freak out is done for the day.

Now, what are you actually trying to accomplish here (from the beginning)?
Quote:Original post by Michalson
W...T...F

You know there is this meme that says not to teach someone [x]BASIC as their first language as it will scar them for life by embedding bad programming practices and generally just mucking up how they approach problems. I'm really starting to feel the same way about PHP/MySQL (though alone PHP seems work out just fine). Please Lord, strike down MySQL, for it has sinned against databases. Thank you, my freak out is done for the day.

Now, what are you actually trying to accomplish here (from the beginning)?

For some reason I'm not thinking MySQL is to blame here. [wink]
Yes, you can do that. But it will not be any safer or more secure then simply storing the login status and the like in the $_SESSION array to begin with and do away with the MySQL alltogether. Implementing a custom session handler though PHP/MySQL is for when you do *not* want to use PHP's $_SESSION variables.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement