ANN: D3D Movie "The Triangle Build Up Of An F1 Car"

Started by
22 comments, last by Tape_Worm 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Jiia
What a cool video! How did you get the gradual rendering accomplished? I suppose you could just keep increasing the rendering buffer counts?

I re-wrote ID3DXMesh::DrawSubset( ) [smile]

It took some doing, as getting all of the numbers in the params to various calls the same required a bit of guesstimation...

to have them render in that specific order was really cool.

Thanks [grin] I just considered it conceptually - points > wireframe > solid - and went from there..

Funny how I've never seen this until now. Shame on me for ignoring stickies [smile]

[lol] somewhat defeats the point of a sticky really[attention]

Thanks for the feedback - always appreciated.
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
I think the video is a great start! Some constructive criticism:

The camera motion is very distracting. Although the concept is cool, this sort of motion is best left for hollywood-style VFX where the actual content of the graphics don't really matter. I have a hard time seeing all of the buildup that is happening with any clarity because the view keeps changing. I would make the camera motion very fluid and *slow*, to give a nice view of the mesh over time without disrupting the more-important animation of vertices/edges/faces.

The reflective floor is also a bit distracting, especially during the vertices portion. My eye has a really hard time creating the form of the car here and I just get very confused. The camera motion makes this feeling a bit worse than it would be otherwise.

I can't see the text readouts for most of the time due to the camera motion.

It's also worth noting that if your camera motion were a lot slower you could probably shave several megabytes off the size of your video. Because of the speed of the camera motion the encoder has to store much more data for each frame and the size of your video is much larger as a result. Better yet, you could encode a higher-quality video with an identical file size.

I hope my comments were helpful, I think videos like these can definately help people understand concepts much more quickly than text descriptions and static diagrams.

Jesse

Quote:Original post by jrapczak
The camera motion is very distracting. Although the concept is cool, this sort of motion is best left for hollywood-style VFX where the actual content of the graphics don't really matter.

Good point, I might try changing it later to see if it looks much better.

The camera motion is actually what took me the longest to get sorted. Originally I found that, particularly towards the end of the movie, you can't actually see everything for the simple reason it's drawing stuff that should be "underneath" other stuff.

I think some sort of view/camera movement would be required so that you can always see something happening.

The reflective floor is also a bit distracting

I hadn't thought of that, but I can see how it might get in the way.

One of the first renders I did of that car also had specular high-lights on it, and a previous one for F1CM also had planar shadows. It looks so damn nice that way [grin]

I can't see the text readouts for most of the time due to the camera motion.

Is that just because of the aforementioned problems with movement in general; or a technical issue with the compression/position??

It's also worth noting that if your camera motion were a lot slower you could probably shave several megabytes off the size of your video.

I'll look into this, as the full 640x480 uncompressed version I have on my machine (which clocks in at 100's of megabytes [smile]) is a lot lot better during the point-cloud/wireframe stages...

I hope my comments were helpful

Very helpful - thanks. I've got a lot of ideas from the various people who've replied to this thread (and a few emails/PM's). When I get some more time to work on another of these projects it'll incorporate a lot of what's been said [smile]

I think videos like these can definately help people understand concepts much more quickly than text descriptions and static diagrams.

That's exactly what I was trying to achieve [grin]

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Is it just me or did anyone else get visions of the movie Tron whilst watching this? :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement