Sign in to follow this  

Using a wireless router as a wireless adapter

This topic is 4594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Not sure where to put this post...but Just wondering if I could use my wireless router as a wireless adapter.....? Here's my situation: I have 2 wireless routers, but 0 network adapters (wireless), except for one on my dad's laptop. So router A (Microsoft 802.11b = "Router A") is working fine. Instead of going out and buying a NEW wireless adapter, can I use router B as a wireless adapter? I heard that this was referred to as Network Bridging. I checked in my manual (Belkin 802.11b is "Router B" and here's what it said: Using the Access Point Mode Note: This advanced feature should be employed by advanced users only. The Router can be configured to work as a wireless network access point. Using this mode will defeat the NAT IP sharing feature and DHCP server. In AP mode, the Router will need to be configured with an IP address that is in the same subnet as the rest of the network that you will bridge to. The default IP address is 192.168.2.254 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. These can be customized for your need. 1. Enable the AP mode my selecting “Enable” in the “Use as Access Point only” page. When you select this option, you will be able to change the IP settings. 2. Set your IP settings to match your network. Click “Apply Changes”. 3. Connect a cable from the WAN port on the Router to your existing network. The Router is now acting as an Access Point. To access the Router advanced user interface again, type the IP address you specified into your browser’s navigation bar. You can set the encryption settings, MAC address filtering, SSID and channel normally. That's the ONLY thing I could find in there about Bridging. Unfortunately, step three says "Connect a CABLE to the existing router...", but I want to be able to connect Router B to Router A wirelessly, NOT with a cable. Any help would be appreciated. -TPG

Yeah, from what I know about networking (and it's not that much) an AP has to be physically connected to the router. A bridge on the other hand is like 2 APs, one connected to the router (via cable), and the other next to your computer. I'm not too sure of any ways around this. You can setup a bridge, but you'll need two devices... it's most likely cheaper (and easier) to simply purchase a wireless adapter.

Hey. The Access point feature on your router is so you can add wireless to an existing wired network, without using the wireless router to assign IP addresses. I don't know of any way for you to use the second router to connect to an existing wireless network.

This topic is 4594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.