Sign in to follow this  

Skeletal animation

This topic is 4595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to start implementing skeletal animation in my little engine, but somehow, I'm a little confused on which method should I choose : 1- implmeneting everything from scratch, making exporter for 3dsmax (I have made expoters for static objects), and doing animations with my own math functions. this method is the most flexible, but takes alot of time, specially that I don't know anything that how can I export skeletal animation data, and any references to any tutorials on max animation exporters, weights, bone data, etc. (I'd be glad if someone could help me with this) 2- implementing skeletal animation with DX helper libs, and using the X file. this method also has it's limitations , because it is dependent on the X file format and direct3d.(I have a nice book on animation with direct3d) 3- using milkshape(ms3d) files, as I have found a good tutorial somewhere on the web -"real soon now", and implemented a rough version of it, and I'm pretty familiar with it, but the problem with this is that my content creator of choice is 3dsmax, because it offers better animation creation and better skining. which method do you recommend that offers good flexibility plus ease of implmentation ? thanks

Just a note, but you don't need to use Direct3D or write your own exporter to use x files.

I export my models with the Quest exporter, use (and abuse) D3DX functions to turn it into my own format, then animate and render it myself. I don't use any DirectX objects to animate. So the x format doesn't require DirectX methods. But I'm not sure how difficult it would be to load in an X-file, manually, without DirectX.

If you want to avoid writing an exporter, you could make a simple tool to convert your files into whatever you want. The x-file format is really great for skeletal systems, because it's hierarchy is already contained that way.

You could look at something like Ogre for your exporting. It already has the 3ds exporter that generates animation data into an XML file. Then you can focus on writing your own animation code... that's probably what I would do.

The real question is: what is your goal? If it's just to get some skeletal animation up and running then DX is probably the simplest. If you really want to learn about animation and the many complexities involved there's no other way to learn than by doing. Blending, morph targets, skinned attachments, animated bounding... it's a very rich problem domain.

This topic is 4595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.