ID Software's new technology, MegaTexture

Started by
42 comments, last by PBMax 18 years, 11 months ago
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=56993&boardid=1&id=&view=flatnew&start=0 A new game from ID Software and Activision. I just know it's going to be great but regardless of it's future fame and glory, i'm extremely interrested in their new technology, MegaTexture. The technology was present in the Doom 3 engine, just not used and i don't know if it's even fully functional in the Doom 3 engine. Does anyone know anything about this new technology? [Edited by - Cybrosys on May 17, 2005 8:46:11 AM]
Advertisement
The way they describe it, it sounds like some sort of fancy procedural texture, possibly based off of artist created ones? (Don't quote me on that, just theorizing.)

It's probably not nearly as big as they make it sound, but I would be interested in knowing more about it... Wonder if JC will update his blog any time soon.

EDIT: Direct Link to Screenie I personally don't see anything overly impressive about the landscape.
// The user formerly known as Tojiro67445, formerly known as Toji [smile]
The texturing as well as the terrain geometry management seems to be innovative so i'm quite excited and upset at the same time. Why upset? Well i want to know how they're doing whatever they are doing :)

Edit:

No the landscape isn't at all impressive, it's their new technology and the promise of what to come that is.
It was released to probably hype their site so that folks would keep them in their minds. Actually to tell you the truth, the tiling problems appear only when you're flying above the terrain. When you're close down the detail texture takes care of it. Plus, you put vegetation on the terrain and nobody is going to notice any tiling that you might have. Then again who wants to play a game on desolate place like mars? I wouldn't. They need to take a lesson from far cry and other outdoor engines imo. I would go with far cry engine with some doom3 tech for indoor scenes. You got to have the whole texture layering system in the editor as well as special tools to build the terrain. You need to have deep bottoms so you can take a sub and go hunting in the ocean as well as fairly tall hills to get lost in as well as flat ground for driving and stuff. Where's the water in that pic?
Quote:
Where's the water in that pic?

What are you talking about? Those soldiers are 70% water.
MegaTexture is referenced in the doom 3 SDK, but it's not really used anywhere, there is just a pointer to a MegaTexture object in one of the shader stage structures.

My guess of what MegaTexture is, based on the 'giga' size and since it's used for terrain, is clip-mapping or something similar to it. Then again I could be so far off base it's not even funny. :) I really don't know a whole lot about clip-maps yet, but from what I remember reading a while back I think this is what MegaTexture _might_ be, dunno.

-SirKnight
Actually, that sounds very feasible. I think you hit it right on the nose.

Clip-Mapping paper (PDF)

Its an interesting concept, and looking through it I think that it may be used for parts of Unreal Engine 3, but I have to wonder how many situations it would REALLY be useful in. Not to mention it would be a nightmare to work with textures that large in photoshop.
// The user formerly known as Tojiro67445, formerly known as Toji [smile]
So what exactly am I suppose to be looking at? The terrain or the army guys?
Where's this new technology in this screenshot?

http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/etqw/20050516/

If it's the terrain, well, you can't exactly see very far in the distance.
The view is blocked off with hills.
Maybe its the sky?

:)
70% water and 30% air? :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement