updating windows files + dlls

Started by
6 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I have a problem, and some questions. I'm using MSVC++ 6.0, and have just realized that my include files are from 1998, which is what came with the compiler. I was trying to implement something, found that the function SetWindowLong has been superceded by SetWindowLongPtr, but I don't have the new version. I require updated headers and DLLs. So, I guess I'm looking for an SDK update, and so is this it? It says it's for a server, so I'm not sure. I think the short solution is to update my compiler to .net, but I don't want to spend $100 if I don't have to, and I do rather like my compiler the way it is. Any pointers will be appreciated!
Advertisement
have you got the latest Visual Stdio 6.0 Updates, SP5, Processor pack, etc?

another option is to use the free VC++ 2003 Toolkit availible from MSFT
with your current Visual Studio 6.0 IDE, one draw-back is that the integrated
debuger in the IDE will no longer work (due to updated debug-database formats)
but you can still use the WinDbg tool provided by MSFT

Hope that helps
PS. article on WinDbg

Cheers
-Danu
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
thanks silvermace, already tried the sp6 update, just did the toolkit, but no luck. I need new headers and DLLs. That seems to me to be an SDK issue, and microsoft has no obvious downloads there as far as I can tell. Does microsoft really expect me to buy a new compiler for this issue? I shouldn't have to.

I'm not really sure what to do right now. Help?
If you want the Windows platform SDK, you can get it here The one you linked too is for Windows Server 2003, unless that is your os, you will need to use the WinXP SP2 [wink] Also, technically you can still use SetWindowLong without a problem, it's just made obsolete now. As said on the site, "To write code that is compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows, use the SetWindowLongPtr function.", so the function will still work as it has on 32-bit versions.
Thanks Drew, downloading those SDK files now, to see if they help any. My concern is not with that particular function per se, but rather, how much more 'Windows modernity' am I missing? It would be nice to just update the files, and have full use of the MSDN guidance. I am by the way running Windows XP home, not server 2003 :) It is all a bit silly, having to use files from 1998 in this case.

extracting as we speak... ho ho
Drew, despite my (MS biased) expectations, your link is exactly what I needed. Thanks dude, truly appreciated.
No problem! That is quite a hefty download, I've been putting off updating to the new stuff until a bit later. [headshake] So many updates, so little time!
Quote:Original post by squirrel_of_death
It is all a bit silly, having to use files from 1998 in this case.

If you want new files then you should use a new product, say VS.NET 2005 Beta 2 or Visual Studio.NET 2003. VC++ 6.0 == Old, so Headers+Libs == Old

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement