[.net] Managed DirectX distribution..

Started by
3 comments, last by RomSteady 18 years, 11 months ago
Is there a way to include MDX with your program without needing that huge ~34meg redistributable? Needing end-users to download the .NET Framework is enough of a pain on 'em. ;) Thanks!
Advertisement

On a Side note,

Remeber that if the user already has the .net frame work installed, and then instals the April 2005 Redist' the MDX System is automaticly installed.

I have seed hacks where people have included the MDX Assemblies with there packaged application. When doing this they transfer the Assemblies to the root directory of there application, I would try and stay away from this and let the main redist' system handle it.
Sorry the last post was mine...

I was logged in, but went to preview and posted from there... Then post was made anonymously :(
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.
Quote:then instals the April 2005 Redist' the MDX System is automaticly installed.

Yes, but that's the whole problem. Users (sans those on uber-fast internet) don't want to download a 24meg .NET Framework and then a ~34meg MDX redist.
The .NET Framework install size is becoming less and less of a concern. According to March 2005 stats (available at http://blogs.msdn.com/scottwil/archive/2005/03/09/391199.aspx):

More than 120M copies of the .NET Framework have been downloaded and installed using either Microsoft downloads or Windows Update
More than 85% of new consumer PCs sold in 2004 had the .NET Framework installed
More than 58% of business PCs have the .NET Framework preinstalled or preloaded
Every new HP consumer imaging device (printer/scanner/camera) will install the .NET Framework if it’s not already there – that’s 3M units per year
Every new Microsoft IntelliPoint mouse software CD ships with the .NET Framework

So while there is a small percentage of users that you have to worry about who don't have the Framework at all, the biggest issue that you're facing is getting people the April 2005 DirectX runtimes.

That being said, it sounds like you're going to be distributing over the Internet. If the visitor to your site is using Internet Explorer, you can check the browser string to see if the visitor has the .NET Framework installed and direct them to either a larger install (.NET+DX9+Title) or the smaller install (DX9+Title).

If they are not using Internet Explorer, it's best to assume the worst and point them to the larger install.

Given the choice, most people would rather download 100Mb all at once instead of 3 33Mb files in bursts.
Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual EntertainmentI used to play SimCity on a 1:1 scale.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement